Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 01:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 15:48 
Editors
Editors

Initial impressions of the game are ... well first of all, get the multiplayer out of the way .... If you're going to play this game online, you might as well just play COD4. Better weapons, better maps, same gameplay. No point playing what is basically an inferior mod.

Single player. Well, again, it's a lot like COD4 but with inferior weapons. And SHORT AS HELL levels. Seriously, you'll play about 5-10minutes, then screen fades to black. Cutscene. 5-10minutes more gameplay. Fade to black. Cutscene. This stop and start narrative of the story completely ruins any immersion in the game, I don't know what the fook they were thinking when they decided to make each section this short.

Stabbing people is fun, the flamethrower is also fun, and some of the japanese banzai charges and traps (although the latter is mostly scripted, an AI teammate runs straight into one to make you go 'ooo') help to mix things up a bit.
Overall though they just try and copy COD4 too much. And when anyone tries to do that, rather than be original, they fail. An analogy for those in the UK : COD4 is Top Gear and COD5 is Fifth Gear. Like the presenters on Top Gear 'make' the show what it is, Infinity Ward 'make' the game.

Random screenshots I've captured so far can be found HERE.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 16:31 

[quote]That's right.

WaW was done by Treyarch, the same folks that did the new Bond game.

I tried it at a friends last night and i gotta say that although it's alright, it REALLY reminds me of how sick I am of playing WWII shooters.

Same boring weapons. Nothing too new.

I don't understand why they went back.. i thought COD4 was teh begining of the wnd of their WWII addiction. It's not liek there's a shortge of wars to base new games on. Personally I'd like to see a WWI-based game. Or Vietnam, or Korea.. Anything but more sfreaking WWII.

I think it'll be the first COD I'm not going to pick up.

So THAT'S why I hated the demo for Quantum of Solace...

@DaFox Second that.

Why Treyarch is able to survive I have no clue...

(FYI: Still playing CoD2 online to this day)I htought the master servers were down for good?

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 17:31 

An analogy for those in the UK : COD4 is Top Gear and COD5 is Fifth Gear. Like the presenters on Top Gear 'make' the show what it is, Infinity Ward 'make' the game.

Oh you most defiantly do not have to live in the UK to get that one *Clap clap* that is a perfect analogy.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 02:54 
Editors
Editors

Well, I've completed it now. After maybe 3 hours or so?
Terribly short. Some of it wanted to be fun, but it just never got there. There were some great set-pieces of explosions and whatnot but for some reason it was all still really underwhelming.

Zombie mode is actually pretty fun though. Will help fill the gap till L4D is released.

[quote]An analogy for those in the UK : COD4 is Top Gear and COD5 is Fifth Gear. Like the presenters on Top Gear 'make' the show what it is, Infinity Ward 'make' the game.

Oh you most defiantly do not have to live in the UK to get that one *Clap clap* that is a perfect analogy.

Good :D I thought Top Gear was pretty global, but I weren't sure if anyone would have heard of Fifth Gear :P

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 03:21 

Well, I've completed it now. After maybe 3 hours or so?
Terribly short. Some of it wanted to be fun, but it just never got there. There were some great set-pieces of explosions and whatnot but for some reason it was all still really underwhelming.

Zombie mode is actually pretty fun though. Will help fill the gap till L4D is released.

[quote][quote]An analogy for those in the UK : COD4 is Top Gear and COD5 is Fifth Gear. Like the presenters on Top Gear 'make' the show what it is, Infinity Ward 'make' the game.

Good :D I thought Top Gear was pretty global, but I weren't sure if anyone would have heard of Fifth Gear :P

I actually see Fifth Gear on Discovery Canada sometimes. And I've heard Fifth mentioned on Top Gear a few times. Like the whole Fifth gear burning down their studio :lol:

Good god I freaking love that show, Im quite behind on it still only 2-3 episodes into S11.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 04:57 

I thought the master servers were down for good?
For the longest time I thought they were too, until one day I went on it (I forget for what reason) and I got the whole server list (although all of my previous favorite servers had since passed away).

Just checked - still running :D

3505 servers here!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 10:19 

Is there another way to alter the FOV in this game other than through the console?
I've been trying cg_fov 80 but it has no effect at all. Is there something I need to type first? Can I edit a config somewhere?
This is for offline single-player, by the way.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 10:36 

Is there another way to alter the FOV in this game other than through the console?
I've been trying cg_fov 80 but it has no effect at all. Is there something I need to type first? Can I edit a config somewhere?
This is for offline single-player, by the way.

Try /cg_fov 80, I recall having to put the slash before that command in some game recently.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 11:02 

Try /cg_fov 80, I recall having to put the slash before that command in some game recently.

This didn't work for me either, thanks though.
I'm using 1.0, I'll download the patch and try it.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2008, 11:45 
Insiders
Insiders

Hm that command works for me...

Rather, i enter "fov 90" then hit the TAB key, puting a slash in (forget which one) then hit ENTER, and it works.

Like the Far Cry console.