Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Sep 2024, 20:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 02:25 
Administrators
Administrators

It has the horror-movie feel, doesn't necessarily mean it's scary.

Ah, I misunderstood you. I agree :)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 04:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Based on the demo, I don't think the full version is going to be worth the full $45 price tag. About halfway (quarter-way?) through the second level, the game just felt like one of those generic and monotonous shooters with tons of monsters and near-unlimited ammo, but with co-op and some innovative features that mainly serve to make the game balanced in terms of how forgiving it is. If the game felt monotonous before I was done with the second level, I seriously doubt the hyped "AI Director" can keep the game interesting on subsequent playthroughs.

Personally, I'd like to have seen an L4D game that took more to the direction of Night of the Living Dead with zombies that are slow and shambling but absolutely relentless and with limited resources available to fight them with, rather than zombies with superhuman agility but can be destroyed with a few bullets to the torso and enormous piles of guns and ammo at your disposal. Think Dead Rising but in a gritty L4D setting and with an emphasis on shooting instead of brawling.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 04:58 

You did'nt play with friends did you cranky? Playing singleplayer or coop with random people is not fun at all.

Half the fun in this game (if not more) is just kicking back with a cold one, playing with your friends.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 05:02 

Based on the demo, I don't think the full version is going to be worth the full $45 price tag. About halfway (quarter-way?) through the second level, the game just felt like one of those generic and monotonous shooters with tons of monsters and near-unlimited ammo, but with co-op and some innovative features that mainly serve to make the game balanced in terms of how forgiving it is. If the game felt monotonous before I was done with the second level, I seriously doubt the hyped "AI Director" can keep the game interesting on subsequent playthroughs.

Personally, I'd like to have seen an L4D game that took more to the direction of Night of the Living Dead with zombies that are slow and shambling but absolutely relentless and with limited resources available to fight them with, rather than zombies with superhuman agility but can be destroyed with a few bullets to the torso and enormous piles of guns and ammo at your disposal. Think Dead Rising but in a gritty L4D setting and with an emphasis on shooting instead of brawling.
I'll have to agree with you there, partially because Dead Rising's firearms implementation made them essentially useless.

Although something tells me that the game will cut back on the ammo amounts if your team is actually tearing it up.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 05:13 
Administrators
Administrators

First thing to remember as these "zombies" are actually "infected" thus their mobility is increased.

If you guys are looking for a slow moving zombie game with crappy weapons (and no skiing effect), then play Zombie Panic:Source. Bornl33t put a server up for WGSF and you are welcome to try it out if you like.

Note: ZPS has done a great job with the game, just the zombie HP to weapon DMG isn't quantitative for the current release.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 07:49 

So I finally tried the demo. Pretty good stuff. I'm just worried...
They said there would be 4 maps? Do they mean locales? Because I don't want to have just beat half the game already. And even if that's true, it still feels like it'd be short, too short. It's really fun, especially with some friends (until they start f&*king around and replaying the level), but I don't feel it warrants the current price tag. I'll be damned if I buy the 360 version either. At least on PC, I'm guaranteed some free stuff to extend the value.

Maybe some time down the line.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 08:09 

So I finally tried the demo. Pretty good stuff. I'm just worried...
They said there would be 4 maps? Do they mean locales? Because I don't want to have just beat half the game already. And even if that's true, it still feels like it'd be short, too short. It's really fun, especially with some friends (until they start f&*king around and replaying the level), but I don't feel it warrants the current price tag. I'll be damned if I buy the 360 version either. At least on PC, I'm guaranteed some free stuff to extend the value.

Maybe some time down the line.

In the game theres Four 'movies' think of them as Acts.
Each level within the game is a chapter. Each Act has Five chapters.

So the demo is 1/10 of the game.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 09:48 

So far I'm not liking the demo. I'd have to agree with cranky, it feels extremely bland, repetitive and generic.

On top of that I was also expecting something more tactical, for a survival horror game. This seems to be basically just run and gun strafing around while firing a single weapon like crazy. I would have expected a zombie survival horror game to have slower player movement, setting up barricades, and traps and trying to hold out from defensive postions and such, or at least something involving strategic use of the terrain to your advantage.

Also, maybe I'm just weird, but after watching the opening cinematic for the game, I thought the different characters would actually serve a purpose, such as different play styles, like Hunter: The Reckoning for example. So you would each have to pick different fighting style characters and combine their abilities in a tactical manner. Doesn't seem to be the case though, they might as well have just given us a list a multiplayer skins to choose from instead. Although I suppose the comic relief would be missing then, not that I found any of them very interesting in the first place.

So far it feels like a bland version of Serious Sam or Alien Shooter, etc, but with fast moving zombies and you can only use 1 weapon.

I suppose it would be more fun on coop, although nobody I know plays it and I don't join random people I've never met in coop games online, versus matches I don't mind, but cooperative play is another story. I suppose I could try it with some of you guys if you wanted to.

Also I'd like to add another +1 to the Half-Life Crisco boots. This game seems to also have a pretty extreme case of it.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 10:35 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you played on Expert mode yet?

You don't get past the the subway cars in the subway map if you don't get your act together and be tactical.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2008, 10:50 

I've been playing Expert the whole time, as I do with most games, although I got bored within the first 15 minutes into the game and stopped playing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next