Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Silent Hunter Fans?
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 09:13 

I've been getting a little bored with FPS games, and I've recently taken a look at the "Silent Hunter" games. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with them/are they worth looking into?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 14:28 

I have all but IV. But I haven't spend much time on the 3rd one.
Or any sim lately. I love helicopter sims but the last one was released about 10 years ago.

For sub sims, if you have high tolerance for old games, try Silent Service. Great games.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11 

I've not played any of them, but then sea and air specific games aren't to my liking. I don't mind having those elements in some levels of a shooter like the Pearl Harbor opening of MoH: Pac Assault, but having it through a whole game is another thing.

I know some balk at reading reviews but the site I use if I can't glean enough info from players is GameRankings.com. Some of the sites they list ratings for (like Gamespot) also list user ratings.

GameRankings via their collection of review sites around the world averages Silent Hunter to rate in the following manner...

Part III...88%
Part I......81%
Part IV....78%
Part II.....71%

http://www.gamerankings.com/

Post subject: SH III & SH IV
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 16:59 

Although I have not yet managed to get either to run in triple screen mode I have and love both Silwent HUnter III and Silent HUnter IV submarine simulators. They represent the most realistic and immersive (no pun intended) simulations of the ocean and its weather ever seen so far. SH III casts you as a GErman U Boat Captain in the BAttle of the Atlantic, whilst SH IV casts you as an American Submarine Captain in the Pacific War against the Japanese.

Both are excellent and you can find out all you need to know at
http://www.subsim.com/index.php
and especially in their excellent Forum at
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php
where you will find my posts under the name "Lionman" another friend who's posts I recommend is "Sailor Steve".

There is a huge range opf free MODs and add ons avaialble for both games and you will find a thead that I started in both the SH III and the SH ICV Forums regarding which MO)Ds do members recommend as their personal "Ideal combination".

You'll fin d that Silent Hunter has a large and extremely technically helpful community. If you find out how to get either simulator to run in triple screen mode, please let me know!

A problem I find with most of my games is that under MATROX their screens won't stay open but auto-minimise after about 5 seconds. This make setting up video etc almost impossible. Any advice anyone?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 00:01 

Thanks for the tips, will definitely check that out!