Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sof3 Release next month
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 21:20 

No Mullins you say? Booooooo! The only way it can redeem itself, is if the microwave gun makes a return!

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 21:34 
Editors
Editors

It will be back by return post then .......... :mrgreen:

Fire it off, mate. I'll give it a bash. :)

Although if you hate it that much... dood, you have me worried...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 00:17 
Editors
Editors

PM your address ...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 09:28 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 10:31 

Well, I'm going to buck the trend here and say I actually LIKE the game.

Yes, it's very stupid and cheesy. The story is nonexistent, the AI extremely simple, etc etc. Worse, the enemies on hard are crack shots and hide behind cover and spawn at certain trigger points and are often extremely difficult to spot. The second level is set on a system of very narrow rope bridges and there's not a lot of room to move and I just kept getting shot to pieces and almost gave up on the game. But I finally made it past that level with the help of a sniper rifle and I thought it got a lot better.

First off, the graphics IMO are top notch. I've played the demos for COD4 and Crysis and didn't see anything there that blew SOF4 out of the water. Really nice lighting and shadows, especially in some of the jungle levels. I think the environments in SOF4 are beautifully rendered with some nice variety (too bad there are invisible walls in some of them). The gore effects are also, if this isn't too strange a word, very beautiful, if somewhat over the top. Your bullets rip open holes in enemies and blood sprays out just like in a Sam Peckinpah movie. It's surprising to me how few fps get this visceral aspect right and SOF4 absolutely nails it. I think the weapons look nice too, although they need way more recoil.

Play it on hard, hang back and try to pick enemies off with a sniper rifle, and you might actually have some fun. I know I am. Mindless fun, sure, but still fun.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 15:07 
Editors
Editors

Game arrived - cheers Paddy! ;)

Will give it a bash. ;)

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 19:43 

Game arrived - cheers Paddy! ;)

Will give it a bash. ;)

Might I suggest trying this mod, Paradigm?

http://soldieroffortune2.filefront.com/file/Functional_Iron_Sights;84749

I like my shooters on the realistic/immersive side, and the first thing that bothered me about SOF was the big, stupid floating crosshair taking up way too much of the screen. This mod gets rid of it, which means that you actually have to rely on ironsites if you want to survive. Makes the game harder and better IMO.

The mod comes in two parts: Gui2 and Models.

Gui2 removes the crosshair - that's the one I used. Models repositions the weapons, and I found that I actually liked the original position of the weapons better than the mod, so I didn't use Models ... You'll need to patch the game to use the mod, I think.

The sniper rifle will be your best friend if you play on hard. Switch to an assault rifle for short range and be sure to have a grenade launcher attached to it--very handy. The game is very linear--hit a trigger point, enemies spawn, etc. But your approach still makes a big difference, that is, the direction you chose to engage the enemies in. I found that if I just followed the directional markers I got killed a lot, but if I kind of circled around them before hitting them I could get the jump on enemies a lot better.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 20:18 
Editors
Editors

I'll give it a shot. :) Cheers for the link.

edit:

OK. Installed and played the first few levels.

Impressions?

Graphics are pretty good. They hold their own against CoD4 etc... not quite up to Crysis, but then it's developed on the quiet by a budget label, so what is to be expected?

Story... what? A bit lost at the minute. So far I'm under the impression that SoF3 has about as much story as UT3... which is to say not a lot. :lol:

Damage model... this is my big complaint so far. I mean... one measly pistol round taking a guys leg off? Fat chance. As far as I can decide, out of the three SoF games, the first had the best damage model. The second focussed too much on the head, and the rest of the damage model suffered because of it. SoF3's is so incredibly over the top that it's just... gore for the sake of gore. Not impressed at all. In the first game, when I shot someone in the groin, they clutched it. In the second, they just ignored it like they were Rambo on speedballs. In this SoF... both their legs fly off. WTF?

AI... what AI? As far as I can work out, the RPG troops are crack shots that have some sort of ESP/TK power that can not only tell the very microsecond you stick your head around a corner, but can bend the rockets back around 180* to hit you if you sidestep them! The rest of the AI is pants along the lines of 'charge and see if we can kill the player in close combat before he can off them with bullets'... that and I've seen one particularly stupid guy (this is on HARD mode, if it can be believed) run right up to me and then just stand there... then get turned into chunky kibble by some bastard RPG trooper dude I didn't spot because he was keeping his head down. Actually this leads me to a complaint linked to the damage model: enemy has both legs and an arm blown off by three pistol rounds... and yet, with the fourth arm... keeps trying to shoot me. "Dude, just frickin' roll over and die already!" ;)

Weapons are varied, but all seem to handle the same to me. Customisation options are pretty decent too, from what I can tell.

Overall?

I kinda think it's a waste of time, but it'll be an amusing diversion akin to Postal 2 for evenings that just drag but I can't be bothered to do anything that requires any actual brain power...