Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 11:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Distance from screen
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007, 02:03 

Correct me if I am wrong...but staring directly at the Sun for a period of time can blind you permanently.

So you see light is a direct result of damage to the eye dependent on the intensity... and intensity is a subjective individual thing according to ones own eyeball

A person could stare at a lightbulb and go blind. Stands to reason staring at a monitor for a prolonged period of time could also result in blindness depending on what you were looking at and dependent on whose eye it was doing the staring

Common sense people... use it. The problem is people who bury their head in the sand and behave as if the world is the size of their own neighborhood. Look outside the box and quit being so tunnel visioned and expand your thought process.

Yea, there are human beings on this planet who are not like you, rofl

Sorry, but this is ignorant, simplistic thinking. The intensity of the sun's light is of an entirely different magnitude compared to that of a light bulb or a computer screen. There is no comparison.

As for there being "human beings on this planet who are not like" me, not sure where you've been getting your information, but the human eye is structured the same for all homosapiens. There are people with slightly better or worse vision, people with physical defects, etc etc, but the structure and function of the human eye remains the same. This is basic, elemental science. It has nothing to do with "expanding your thought process," "thinking outside the box," "tunnel vision" or any other catch phrase.

Post subject: Re: Distance from screen
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007, 17:55 
Editors
Editors

G'Day, not sure if I picked the right forum for this, so please redirect me if it's not.

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything; anyway.. I have a 32" Samsung I'll run at 1920 * 1080, and I wanted to know the general guidelines for how far away one should sit from screens to keep ones eyes from bleeding. Does it depend on the resolution or the physical size, etcetera?

All help is appreciated.

Forget about size and tangus calculations...

If you are going to use it as a computer monitor, then there are two main concerns you need to adress:

1. The most straining task when using the computer are when you read text. Therefore, you need to find the distance where you normally can read the text with least amount of strain.

2. Secondly, you should look DOWN on screen as much as possible. This releaves strain from your neck.

Regardless of where you sit, you should always stand up, take a walk around once in a while, so to releave body of the stress you get from sitting infront of a screen to begin with! :)