Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 20:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Distance from screen
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 16:04 

[quote]Hey Sporemaw,

What's the model of your TV?
I thought Sharp was the only one manufacturing 32" 1080P sets.

It's 1080i. :wink:

Thanks for ya help everyone, I'll settle on 4-6ft.Well, since this is WS Gaming forum, I have to ask, are you aware that it will not actually play games at that res? A 1080i TV displays that res at 2x 30Hz, so it's actually 720p. The best res you'll be able to game at is 1280x720.

Oh, and btw NB, the main flaw in that view distance calculator is there's no input for pixel pitch, which is very important when using a display as a desktop. I've always felt the home theater industry considers an HTPC display something you view from 6-10' away with a wireless keyboard so they don't even think of such things.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 04:50 

I played Doom 3 and its expansion all the way through 6'' from the screen with a 130-140 degree FOV.

rofl..OMG..six inches!!!! Dude I sit three feet from my 23" widescreen. I must be getting old cuz my eyes cannot handle sitting that close at six inches from the screen especially playing Doom 3 and expansion all the way through...OMG you are SICK!!!

When you go watch a movie at the theatre, do you sit in the front row?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 06:39 

I've said it before but often bears repeating. Eye damage usually does not show up until years after daily abuse. When it gets to the point where you experience pain and/or blurred vision, it's too late, the damage is done.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 07:02 

I've said it before but often bears repeating. Eye damage usually does not show up until years after daily abuse. When it gets to the point where you experience pain and/or blurred vision, it's too late, the damage is done.

Eye damage from what, exactly? I know you can strain your eyes, reading print that is too small, or dimly lit, etc, which is what a lot of people are talking about when they talk about "hurting" their eyes, but that is only temporary, it goes away. How can a computer monitor permanently damage your eyes?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 10:34 
Editors
Editors

Too bright in a too dark room...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 12:28 

[quote][quote]Hey Sporemaw,

What's the model of your TV?
I thought Sharp was the only one manufacturing 32" 1080P sets.

It's 1080i. :wink:

Thanks for ya help everyone, I'll settle on 4-6ft.Well, since this is WS Gaming forum, I have to ask, are you aware that it will not actually play games at that res? A 1080i TV displays that res at 2x 30Hz, so it's actually 720p. The best res you'll be able to game at is 1280x720.

Oh, and btw NB, the main flaw in that view distance calculator is there's no input for pixel pitch, which is very important when using a display as a desktop. I've always felt the home theater industry considers an HTPC display something you view from 6-10' away with a wireless keyboard so they don't even think of such things.

Now the computer is made I am now sadly aware. :(

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 18:20 

Too bright in a too dark room...

Yes, Paradigm, but how does that physically damage your eyes?

I've known people who insisted on watching TV with a light on in the room because otherwise they thought it would be bad for their eyes--but this is a total myth. It is just something that people grew up believing, but it isn't true, like a lot of things we believe but have no actual evidence for (like Halloween candy sometimes being poisoned, to pick a topical example ... )

The same is true for the belief that watching a computer monitor in the dark can be permanently bad for your eyes. Temporary eye fatigue, yes, permanent damage, no. See below.

http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZY6CP25YC&sub_cat=0

http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZ8BUZTYIE&sub_cat=0

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 19:58 
Editors
Editors

Yes, Paradigm, but how does that physically damage your eyes?

I'm sure an ophthalmologist would be able to tell you. ;)

It's likely got something to do with light intensities on your retina in an environment where the majority of the eye says that it's dark (which leads to the sensitivity of all receptors being increased) and then the receptors that are exposed to rapidly altering bright light are over-stressed. Prolonged and repeated treatment in this manner will damage them. As repeatedly stressing anything will damage it - sometimes permanently.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 21:11 

[quote]Yes, Paradigm, but how does that physically damage your eyes?

I'm sure an ophthalmologist would be able to tell you. ;)

It's likely got something to do with light intensities on your retina in an environment where the majority of the eye says that it's dark (which leads to the sensitivity of all receptors being increased) and then the receptors that are exposed to rapidly altering bright light are over-stressed. Prolonged and repeated treatment in this manner will damage them. As repeatedly stressing anything will damage it - sometimes permanently.

Nah, this is an old wives' tale, and there is no evidence to support it. It is hard to imagine any physical mechanism whereby exposure to normal visible light wavelengths could damage the retina, short of staring into the sun or a laser beam. Your eye is evolved to deal with a huge range of intensities, from bright sunlight to dim starlight, a dynamic range of 9 orders of magnitude. Compared to that, the range of light intensities you'll experience while playing a game (maybe 3 orders of magnitude or so) is barely a drop in the bucket.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2007, 23:00 

If sitting in the dark in front of a bright monitor would be true, then I'd have been blind years ago as that's all I've done.

I've never been able to have a light on, except maybe a very dim one, behind the monitor and no direct light, only diffuse/ricochet off the walls.

In fact the last 2 times I went to get my eyes checked I actually had improved a couple points.

So use whatever feels better, I get fatigue much faster with other lights around than not. Some others don't.

Kind of like how I rarely need much light to get around the dark, most people I know constantly flare up any light within a 10km radius of their steps, to each his/her own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next