Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 00:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hellgate London
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 07:45 
Editors
Editors

Anybody looking forward to this new supposed FPS/RPG hybrid???

I think the concept is there, it sort of reminds me of a diablo/phantasy star online mix, but from the few videos of ingame footage I can find. The game looks like it will very quickly dull and become a bore.

Only 3 classes and what looks like pretty boring weapons and just wave after wave of monsters. Shame all the FMV footage made the game up to be big and it does have alot of hype.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 10:12 

Doesn't do it for me at all.

Looks like your typical:

Leveling, upgradable, Fizz-n-bang and Hack-n-slash.

This is how it works, real easy. Make a "Leveling, upgradable, Fizz-n-bang and Hack-n-slash" game, wher you can chuck some cooperative players in some corridors and dungeons. Then, go outside after that 2 minutes of programming, go and find a big bull in a paddock, feed him some real juicy sloppy grass that has been festing for a few weeks with snails in it and slugs and mildew and slime and stuff, come back the next day and wait till the bull is ready to pass the excrament, collect it in a bucket labelled "MARKETING", feed it to the gaming public, post it in some forums, and some online adds, give some to the reviewers, previewers, and the next thing you know you got a million people slip sliding all over the place to get to play it until the next bucket comes along.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 18:58 

Considering how long I have been hearing about it I sure hope it is good. 8)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 23:02 

looks entertaining, but its all online I think. so I might give it a try, but I heard tehy wanted to charge for it or somethng....

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 01:32 

From an article at ShackNews...

"According to the details reprinted by Hellgate Guru, Hellgate: London online players will have the option of paying a $9.95 monthly fee for an Elite subscription, which confers a number of advantages over the standard free online membership. For their payment, Elite subscribers will receive 12 character slots rather than three, access to a Diablo II-esque Hardcore mode, the freedom to bypass server queues, account-wide storage for 40 items (as opposed to 20 items for non-Elites), permission to create guilds and attain officer status, distinguishing Elite features and Elite-only equipment, in-game VIP shuttles, and 24-hour customer support. Elite and non-Elite players may interact fully within the game world, and non-Elite players may join guilds."

I have never paid more for a game past it's purchase price before, but I may pick it up anyway, at least to check out if it's worth the monthly fee.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 01:55 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164306.html

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007, 13:20 

Well it may be a bit repetitious like Bioshock, but from the looks of it the content is more apropos for the setting. It also seems to have unique weaponry like Bioshock. After reading about and seeing screenshots of the cartoony, arcadish characters of Bioshock I almost expected SpongeBob SquarePants to be in it. My idea of being stuck in a world gone wrong scenario is not kindergarten with magical healing chambers that lull you easily on to victory but a griping sense of Doom (3), another good game with such elements.

Add to that Bioshock's botched widescreen "support" and you have something that is not very modern day except that it reminds you in an insulting way that your hardware is outdated if you don't have a shader 3 card. From what I've seen the graphics are not good enough to be noticeably better than games that do support shader 2, especially the way textures get much blurrier when not viewed at close range.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 02:28 

Well it may be a bit repetitious like Bioshock, but from the looks of it the content is more apropos for the setting. It also seems to have unique weaponry like Bioshock. After reading about and seeing screenshots of the cartoony, arcadish characters of Bioshock I almost expected SpongeBob SquarePants to be in it. My idea of being stuck in a world gone wrong scenario is not kindergarten with magical healing chambers that lull you easily on to victory but a griping sense of Doom (3), another good game with such elements.

Add to that Bioshock's botched widescreen "support" and you have something that is not very modern day except that it reminds you in an insulting way that your hardware is outdated if you don't have a shader 3 card. From what I've seen the graphics are not good enough to be noticeably better than games that do support shader 2, especially the way textures get much blurrier when not viewed at close range.

WTF does this have to do with Hellgate?

Anyway the game has an offline mode, jsut like Diablo. If you pay the 10USD a month you get continual content updates like any other MMORPG, they specifically mention CoX as a model. The online version sounds to me exactly like Guild Wars or DDO, with city like hubs where players congregate and the rest is all instanced.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007, 03:39 

Point taken, well at least the first two sentences did. LOL

It does, however keep in perspective how many of the modern games have their flaws, meaning perhaps one should grade on a curve rather than soley by ones impression of the game in question itself. :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2007, 22:18 

I thought I'd mention that a little birdie told me that it does widescreen properly.