Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:14 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Yawgmoth ... welcome to the WSGF ... 8)

Crazy eh ... Ok maybe ... but ... we need is a fix for this FOV so I can play across three screens ... :mrgreen:

loan me some money so i can get 2 more monitors. ... but then everyone would want a loan from me ... :wink:

Welcome to you too ... 8)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:14 
Editors
Editors

Well, we allready experienced in the past how thick headed some people are. So I'm not really suprised.

Ah well, aslong as we get our widescreen goodness I don't care what other people think. :lol:

Welcome to all the new members btw. :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:16 

paddy can you post my shots of the load screen over on 2k board i sill havnt got an e-mail to finish reging over there

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:18 

paddy can you post my shots of the load screen over on 2k board i sill havnt got an e-mail to finish reging over there

took me 2 hours to get it. the thread has devolved into nothing but bashing people for making a legitimate complaint because the issue doesnt effect them personally.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:21 

edit: nevermind ... you can delete this post ... lol it just took steam 10 minutes to recognize that it was released :/

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:21 
Editors
Editors

Apparently there is a temporary fix ... by someone called ... Princess_Frosty over on the 2K forums ...
I haven't tried it yet.

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING - this is so you understand what you're doing, thanks.

Goto the .../builds/release/ folder

Open up the file called "startup.ini" in notepad

Add a new line at the top by hitting return and add the command FOV xx where xx is equal to the FOV you want to use. once you're done your file should look something like this:

Quote:
fov 120
[Filesystem]
FilePath=....ContentSystem
FilePath=....Content
BakedFilePath=....ContentBakedPCSystem
BakedFilePath=....ContentBakedPC
ScriptPath=.
BakedScriptPath=BakedScriptsPC
CensoredFilePath=....ContentCensoredSystem
CensoredFilePath=....ContentCensored
It's important the command goes before the [FileSystem] tag, also note that I picked 120 for experimental purposes and you will need to change the FOV to whatever you think is best, I will spend time soon working out what it should be set to for 16:10 monitors.

Now save that file and you can load Bioshock with that FOV

I am not exactly sure what the default FOV is but it's probably 85 or 90, so if you want to return back to another FOV you will have to change the file again and re-load

This allows you to change the horizontal FOV but NOT the vertical which is ideally what we'd need to change to fix this easily.

So what we have to do instead is change the resolution in game to something that has a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio (this is for non widescreen CRT or LCD respectivly) so pick someting that has a smaller vertical resolution than your monitors native resolution (since this is the smaller of the 2)

Example: if you have a 1680x1050 monitor like me then 1280x1024 is close to the same vertical resolution while remaining smaller so it will fit and not need much stretching.

Your monitor will then stretch the 4:3 or 5:4 resoltion to fit the whole screen thus stretching the horizontal a lot, and this is what the larer FOV compensates for, it gives you a wider viewing angle to start with and so the final result looks normal, only you have a wider FOV and you keep the top and bottom parts of the screen.

I've been struggling to bind a key to get the console working so you can just open that but theres no documentation for switches for the executatble to enable it, nor what the keybind is called so we could do it in the startup.ini file.

Please note that this is workaround and you do it at your own risk, the worst that can happen is you set a stupid FOV and cant get it back or someting daft, in which case just uninstall/reinstall the demo.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:24 
Founder
Founder

I have a question, and I'm serious here: Why is it that everyone automatically expect the 16:9 aspect ratio version to have a wider FOV than the 4:3 one?

If a game is primarily designed for 4:3 it is wrong to chop to 16:9. Rather, you should add to the sides.

Equally, if a game is primarily designed to be viewed in 16:9 it is also wrong to chop from the sides to 4:3. Rather you should add to the top and bottom.

I postulate that: When converting from a primary to a secondary aspect ratio you should never chop but always use an 'open matte'.

Now: What is likely to be the 'native' aspect ratio for Bioshock (i.e. the way it's primarily designed to be seen)?

When comparing an open matte 1.78:1 DVD transfer of a movie (which is 'more', but also 'wrong') to the director's 2.35:1 theatrical cut, no one in their right mind would argue that the theatrical one is missing information on both sides. Yet, that is exactly what is happening here.

I'm honestly dumbfounded...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:25 

btw the game supports 1400x1050 :D so you can use that if you have 1680x1050 too

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:28 

I have a question, and I'm serious here: Why is it that everyone automatically expect the 16:9 aspect ratio version to have a wider FOV than the 4:3 one?

If a game is primarily designed for 4:3 it is wrong to chop to 16:9. Rather, you should add to the sides.

Equally, if a game is primarily designed to be viewed in 16:9 it is also wrong to chop from the sides to 4:3. Rather you should add to the top and bottom.

I postulate that: When converting from a primary to a secondary aspect ratio you should never chop but always use an 'open matte'.

Now: What is likely to be the 'native' aspect ratio for Bioshock (i.e. the way it's primarily designed to be seen)?

When comparing an open matte 1.78:1 DVD transfer of a movie (which is 'more', but also 'wrong') to the director's 2.35:1 theatrical cut, no one in their right mind would argue that the theatrical one is missing information on both sides. Yet, that is exactly what is happening here.

I'm honestly dumbfounded...

i think people expected it when the developers told us to.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:28 

So, if I put 1600x1200 for my 1920x1200, and use that FOV trick...it should give me the correct view right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 81  Next