Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 11:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Gothic 3 .. almost here!
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 01:50 

I've read the previews and I haven't read anything that would disuade me from playing. People commenting on the quirky combat system, but I liked the combat system of the previous games. Bugs, sure, but they get patched. I think it's a bit early to just write this game off.

Oblivion was eye candy, nothing more. I felt the scaling world completely ruined the game. The only way the game was playable was heavily modded for me. So the reviews stating this game is not like Oblivion actually make me want to play it more. :)

Agreed 100%. Oblivion certainly looked beautiful, but it has been the biggest gaming letdown I've ever had. So much potential - and they built a game for 10 year olds to enjoy.

Give me an RPG with slightly less impressive graphics (though the Gothic 3 screens look fine to me) and an immersive story and challening play over vanilla Oblivion anytime!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 02:58 

I heard that they already patched Gothic 3 and it helped some of the bug.

Plus since the game isnt here yet in the USA it gives em more time to fix any problems before the release.

I think the game looks great and cant wait to play.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 05:43 

Gothic 3 is out? But not in USA yet, okay. Awesome, i played the first Gothic and loved it. Had a sharp rough edge to it. Disappointed to hear about the bugs...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 06:01 

Gothic 3 will be released on November 20th in the USA

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 09:28 

The patch hasn't touched the most bugs. Still the same imo, I haven't played it, but in forums they are talking about it. Seems that this game is really really buggy.

13. October -> german release

Puh. Thank god, the game doens't interest me. :D

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 12:18 

Blue, have you played the game already? Your last post made it sound like you have. I know it was already released in some countries. If so, what is it that you don't like?

I played Gothic 3 in a store on 20" TFT 1600x1200. The X1900XTX was not able to deliver a fluent gaming. The HW-recommendations are very high. This is especially disappointing for WS-Users like us. Even absolute High-End-Users have to make compromises. What bothers me:

-the HW needed
-the loading times: game took about two minutes to start, quicksave between 5-10 seconds and quickload around one and a half minute :shock: thats simply to long.
-the very short viewing distance, much shorter than Oblivion (the grass is popping up etc.)
-lensflare looks terrible
-the fights are like Diablo. You have specialmoves but you are not able to use them properly, you just klick klick klick klick as fast as you can
-some people look very silly in their armor or with their gestures
-a lot of clipping bugs (enemies get stuck in rocks and trees, sun is shining through the ceiling of caves etc.)
-KI bugs (deer flees at day but not at night)
-several C2D
-the ocean looks terrible
-there seems to be very little story. You just walk around an do quests. OK, for me thats not a problem since I played G1 and G2. But for someone who is new to Gothic it might be difficult to find out, what your task is.

What I like:
- the music is perfect!
- the style of graphic is very nice, but it doesn't look like half a year after Oblivion. Its dirty and looks used and realistic
- the dialogues - rough and realistic - pure Gothic flair
- the opportunities (cooking, smithing etc..)
- the size

Hopefully Piranha Bytes is able to patch Gothic 3 in order to fix the major bugs. The atmosphere is great, but it is disturbed by all these bugs, clipping failures and little disappointments. Maybe in some months G3 will be a great RPG experience. I will be patient. :)

Intel i7 980X | MSI Big Bang Xpower X58 | 12GB G.Skill Pi Black DDR3-1600 | Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X 2GB | 2x Intel X-25M 160GB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic X-750 | Silverstone FT01 black | 3x HP ZR24w @ 5760x1200 Triplehead

AMD X2 4800+ | Gigabyte K8N Ultra-SLI | 2GB Kingston VS DDR1-400 | Zotac GTX260 AMP! + Gigabyte 8400GS | 3x Samsung HD 2.1TB | SB X-Fi | Seasonic M12-600 | Chieftec CS-601 blue | Dell 2407WFP + Dell 1707FP Dualhead

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 14:08 
Editors
Editors

Agreed 100%. Oblivion certainly looked beautiful, but it has been the biggest gaming letdown I've ever had. So much potential - and they built a game for 10 year olds to enjoy.

They designed it the same way Deus Ex 2 was designed: for the Lowest Common Denominator. (i.e.: consoles)

I'm hopeful that Dark Messiah will have what Oblivion missed without mods, and what Gothic 3 would be without all the bugs.

When a reviewer mentions bugs in a review, you know it's serious...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 17:46 

Im starting to hate how they make a game for the pc and then dumb it down to use on an consoles like the xbox.

I hate big clunky huds

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 18:11 

The HUD in Oblivion was the first mod I looked for. That thing was horrible.

Blue, I am a Diablo freak (I have like 190 hours in Titan Quest recently, FYI I only know that because of XFIRE, I don't time myself :P) and I was always fond of Gothics fighting system.
I guess it's just matter of opinion. If a game doesn't look cutting edge, it never bothers me. All I care about is if it plays well. Hopefully they will get those bugs worked out before the US release though. But the graphics will never disuade me from playing a game. Heck, I still play UFO XCOM on Emulator, talk about chumpy graphics! ;)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2006, 19:27 

They designed it the same way Deus Ex 2 was designed: for the Lowest Common Denominator. (i.e.: consoles)

I'm hopeful that Dark Messiah will have what Oblivion missed without mods, and what Gothic 3 would be without all the bugs.

When a reviewer mentions bugs in a review, you know it's serious...

If it's just bugs in G3, then I'm hoping it's something that will be fixed in short order by the devs. Every great game has its share of bugs off the bat. HL-2 certainly had them - remember the st-st-st-stuttering, Mr. F-F-F-Freeman? :D

Oblivion actually ran perfect for me. I had my new rig all set up, loaded the game and didn't really ever have any problems with it. Which makes it all the more bittersweet. It looked so fantastic, and when you get out of the sewers and see all that land - it's like WOW. But then you notice the poorly rendered far textures. But you ignore that and start exploring. But the ugly, gigantic HUD gets in the way, stupid compass, idiot prompts during quest...scaled monsters/loot. How in any way can this game be challenging?

Hehe...sorry for the OT rant on Oblivion.

But yeah, if G3 is as buggy as early reports make it to be, hopefully that'll get fixed by the time it lands in NA...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next