Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 01:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006, 06:41 

Really to me, it's just another reason to dislike EA :P.

The biggest gripe I have with EA is their refusal to release ANY NCAA titles on the PC. I would've loved to try out the college tournament format of MVP 06: NCAA Baseball, but even worse is the non-release of NCAA Football and NCAA March Madness. Both of those sports already have a pro title on the PC, that they could've used the in-game engine for, and just built a front-end menu structure for, to mimic the console versions of said menus. Plus, I wouldn't need to buy a PS2 (when they drop again, after the PS3's release), just to take full advantage of "superstar mode". The lack of WS support is a gripe, as is the dropping of online for dated titles, but I just REALLY hate that they don't release anything but their marquee (sp?) titles on the PC. Oh yeah...marquee titles, plus...RUGBY!?!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006, 07:30 

most of those games have outlived their major online playtime anyway

but EA still blows

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006, 12:04 
Editors
Editors

The thing I don't think any of you have thought of is this:

2005 was only last year - by eight months.

Also, they do this for titles now, they'll do it for things like NFS: Most Wanted in the future...

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006, 12:05 
Editors
Editors

Also, they do this for titles now, they'll do it for things like NFS: Most Wanted in the future...

Thank God for Hamachi :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2006, 17:11 

I blame EA couse of NO native WS support in any game, but they're one of the biggest company in the game industry! how can they just ingore us, WS players?! :shock:

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 12:25 

I do kinda see the point in stopping online support for these games.. its just a shame if itll be impossible to play those games online anymore as you have to connect to EA's server for them to work.

I remember a few months ago i loaded up the original UT, and was mortified to find i could no longer connect to any server from within the game!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 12:29 
Editors
Editors

You can still play LAN games, though, right?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2006, 14:23 

Of course yeah :)

UT is still my #1 game for lan games, just a shame theyve taken the servers down from the net!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 03:40 
Founder
Founder

It seems like the vast majority of online components for games don't see much action, especially if that title is in a niche genre or simply doesn't sell well.

I was reading several reviews of games that were around 2 to 3 years of age, and the reviewers often made the mistake of describing the multiplayer portions as if they were thriving Counter-strike-esque communities. At the time of release I'm sure there were people playing, but it would have been nice for the reviews to mention the potential dearth of online play in the future based on current numbers.

To their credit however, some of the reviews did mention lack of online play, but this usually went hand in hand with a bad review.

I was searching for some online play for my recent bargain bin acquisitions. Some of the titles from just two years back have virtually no online activity.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 04:19 
Insiders
Insiders

Cheesy.

They clearly have the resources to be able to keep it up.

EA's Shenanigans of late have been very disconcerning.
this, firing staff after RECORD net profits, and this dynamic advertising in games bullsh|t.

I think i'll have to start stealing EA games from here on in.

YARR matey!