Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 00:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Prey Demo!
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 18:58 

Out of curiosity I looked it up and according to GameSpy preview QuakeWars will use updated D3 engine that has some kind of new Mega Texture technology that allows for creating large terrains by creating one huge texture as a battlefield. So the engine used in QW is not the same D3 engine used in Q4 and D3. They had to update it for the very reason: it couldn't render large outdoor maps.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 20:26 

Out of curiosity I looked it up and according to GameSpy preview QuakeWars will use updated D3 engine that has some kind of new Mega Texture technology that allows for creating large terrains by creating one huge texture as a battlefield. So the engine used in QW is not the same D3 engine used in Q4 and D3. They had to update it for the very reason: it couldn't render large outdoor maps.

Thats a way to make outdoor areas more realistic but isn't a technology that is required for outdoor areas. No other game has it, yet there are games with large outdoor areas right? Or is this going to be the first outdoor game?

If you look at the distant textures in games like Far Cry and Oblivion you'll notice that they are very blurry. They are missing this tech.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2006, 22:59 

Hi,

thanx for your help. Just created a new sli profile and it works perfectly. Prey runs like hell now, I have a rock-steady, solid 60 fps now and am a happy man :-)))

gogo

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2006, 01:12 

Ok.... is it a requirement of licensing the Doom3 engine that the game be a futuristic corridor shooter? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Doom3 and Quake 4, but Prey looks exactly the same. I swear ID says "Ok.. here's the Doom 3 SDK, would you like all of our models and textures? It sure would save you a lot of time."

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2006, 16:56 

Ok.... is it a requirement of licensing the Doom3 engine that the game be a futuristic corridor shooter? Don't get me wrong, I actually like Doom3 and Quake 4, but Prey looks exactly the same. I swear ID says "Ok.. here's the Doom 3 SDK, would you like all of our models and textures? It sure would save you a lot of time."

Well, if you want to keep the detail levels very high, it helps a lot to keep the spaces tight. Large viewing area's require a considerable drop in detail for most everything, if you want a decent framerate. One of the reasons Doom3 was able to look as good as it did when it came out was the fact that you couldn't see more than 20ft in front of you before a turn in the corridor.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2006, 23:09 
Founder
Founder

Am I the only person who thinks that Doom3 engine isn't looking all that good? Flashy and shiny, that's all.

Here, here. I just am not a big fan of that engine. Took me around 6 months of troubleshooting, posting in forums and trying different console commands to finally eliminate a stutter/lag effect that drove me crazy in game.

There's something about the similarity of the bland colors and textures that has struck me as particularly blah. Every game based on the Doom 3 engine has inherited this flaw to a certain extent, and many of the advance press shots I received during Prey's development struck me as waaaay too D3'ish.

One of my colleagues even stopped by one day and asked if the screens were a from new Doom 3 mod. :shock:

Maybe QW:ET will break out of this mold?

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2006, 23:14 
Editors
Editors

We can hope. But I don't hold out much. ;)

ET:QW strikes me as ambitious; which can be good, and bad. Having graphics that detailed on an online shooter can be a serious curse...

I don't think I've really enjoyed any of the Doom 3 based games...

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2006, 00:41 

take the doom3 engine for what it is.......a 3-4 year old engine that was great when it first came out, but like most engines, doesn't age very well :(

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 20:53 

The D3 engine was made for corridor action. The HL2 engine was made for more open spaces. D3 can't work nice with open spaces and HL2 was constructed to do just that so they paid less attention to the smaller things that made D3 interesting. Accept and move on.

As for Prey, it looks awesome and I intend to run through it the second after I finish FEAR.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 14:31 

I liked Prey, as I liked Quake 4 and, mostly, Doom 3. It doesn't strike me as really unique though, so the full game will probably wait until I feel like spending the money.

Anyone else notices the HUGE amount of... well... fecal atmosphere?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next