Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 07:37 

I'm a big PC gamer, but I also got a lot of enjoyment out of my old xbox. I'm thinking of buying a modded 360 for a couple of reasons, mainly that I like fighting games, and I love playing splitscreen coop games with a friend (Call of Duty 3, etc). I don't really care about Live ...

So ... would an Xbox 360 be for me, do you think?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 08:20 

yes great games on the 360 and you can get a VGA cable and hook it to your monitor :D

dont get a modded on you can use it with Xbox live and thats best thing about the 360

split screen is shit online is were its at and the PC is best for that but
XBL Arcade is great

if you can use XBL dont bother with it

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 08:46 

The biggest problem with all consoles is the hidden cost of games. If you are willing to pay that, then sure, go ahead. It is a good console with some very good games.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 11:30 
Editors
Editors

So much for your sig ;)

I'd recommend spending the money on new PC parts, depending on what your current spec is. LIVE is good, but it still doesn't compare to PC gaming!

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 21:12 

I'm not going to try to brag, but I'm pretty confident I know the most about Xbox's than anyone on the forum (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

1.) Xbox 360's cannot be modded in the various ways that the original could. There is currently no exploit that allows you to do this.

2.) The only "mod" for the 360 is to flash the DVD drive. This voids the warranty, but however recent ones cannot be detected on Xbox Live.

3.) The bi-annual updates by Microsoft to the 360's firmware have stopped these flashes from being undetectable. So if you get a flashed 360, get word from some of your friends with flashed 360's before you go onto Xbox Live to get the most recent update.

4.) Even with a "modded" Xbox 360 or a transfer kit such as XSATA, there is still no way to put movies or pictures onto your 360's hard drive without downloading them from Microsoft. Music can only be put on by ripping.

Just a few things to note.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 21:33 

I know that people play pirated/warez games on the xbox 360. Don't know exactly how and don't care enough to know.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 21:49 
Insiders
Insiders

You can't rip DVD's to the HDD? Cheeeesey! After seeing all that folks had doen to thei original xboxes, i had thought about getting MYSELF a xc360.. until i saw all the drawbacks.

I love PCs.

I'd say spend that on a computer upgrade.. maybe a new vdeo card or something.

Or, blow it on coke and whores.

.. heh, no double-pun intended.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 22:00 

I know that people play pirated/warez games on the xbox 360. Don't know exactly how and don't care enough to know.
Flash the DVD drive.

Simple enough.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 23:27 

Thanks everyone for responding!

My PC is up to snuff - I play pretty much everything maxed out at 1920x1200 ...

Modded 360s can play "back ups" of xbox games, which is the only reason I would want a modded one.

My main use would be for two player split-screen when a friend comes over--coop fps and fighting games, mostly. I don't really care about Live as I have a pretty poor internet connection and won't be paying for any Live subscriptions. I did originally want to get a 360 because I felt I was missing out with Gears of War, but now that is coming to the PC ... Still there are some exclusives like Dead Rising or whatever that zombie game was called that I'd like to play, and I'm sure there will be more down the line ...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007, 23:33 

Can we please avoid talking about the "how to".

If you want to argue the merits no big deal but I do not think we need to go there.