Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 21:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 12:48 

The Ati user might just need a patch, especially the odler cards like the x850 as they would be SM2 cards, Splinter Cell needed a patch before it looked good on ATi too if I remember.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 13:13 

Its not ATI's fault. i bet this was developed for Nvidia cards, which kinda makes it hard for them to keep up as they are at a disadvantage straight away. Yeah might be a driver issue, but i am not sure how that could alter the textures? And neo, don't get too excited, the demo will take you 20 mins max...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 14:53 

ATI GUYS... DON'T LOSE HEART!!! READ BELOW!!!!

If you feel the game textures and quality is crap, follow these instructions.

Go to the: "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter DemoDatasettings" folder and edit "renderer_settings.xml" using notepad. (make a backup of this file first though)

Scroll down and change these variables from value="crap" to value="HIGH".

EG.
Code:

<variable name="texture_quality_backdrop" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_buildings" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_buildings_low" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_default" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_effects" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_ground" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_lightmaps" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_no_lod" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_plants" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_player_vehicles" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_props" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_props_bump" value="high"/>
   <variable name="texture_quality_props_high" value="high"/>

This will boost up your graphic quality so it's as sexy as Paddy's workstation....but without the 3 monitors, 80FPS, and SLI-goodness. :( But at least you can see what the QUALITY is like!!!!!

btw, The game has an ATI logo on boot-up instead of a more traditional "nVidia".

ajg: i keep dying in the courtyard.... so it's kept me busy for a good hour. But i'm not complaining. :)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 14:57 
Editors
Editors

I downloaded it at about 9.30pm ... I was still messing with it and playing at 3am ... :mrgreen: ... but it is very short.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 15:59 

Its not ATI's fault. i bet this was developed for Nvidia cards, which kinda makes it hard for them to keep up as they are at a disadvantage straight away. Yeah might be a driver issue, but i am not sure how that could alter the textures? And neo, don't get too excited, the demo will take you 20 mins max...

yeah, should have noticed that at 3am this morning, doh... foot in mouth there, lol.... it IS ATI's fault.... i can set everything to high, but the textures then go whack, maybe cos of sm3 lighting or something but it does look better. really needs AA though... will have to get my nv setup running again soon so i can see what she is like then. there is hope yet to be impressed :)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 07:31 

Well after checing out Paddys Ghost Recon last night i can say it was a damn sight better than what i had seen with my machine. Still not blown away mind, the jaggies from the lack of AA is bad, the lighting still looks poor compared to all the latest games with HDR and Bloom effects (as they promoted themselves in screenshots). Maybe a few patches are in order

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 08:53 

I am not seeing any problems with how the game runs/renders on an ATI card. It looks fantastic to me. I didn't have to resort to manually altering that settings file that neo pointed to. It already had everything at "high".

THis game runs 40-50 FPS @ 1920x1200 on a single x1900xt(x). The game has the freakin ATI brand at the splash screens. I would think that the game supports the cards.

Rus great. Looks great.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 12:31 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ajg poped around to look at my set up last night and we looked at some pre release PC screenshots ... they seem to have some AA and much better lighting ... :roll:

Another game where the pre release screenshots were "Tweaked" ... ?

Here is a screenshot that was released before the demo ... there seems to be some AA ... ?
Look at the roof edges and the edges where the walls meet the ground ...
It's best to look at them full size ... click to enlarge ...

Here is a screenshot I took with everthing at max ... no AA at all.

It was clearly from an earlier build of the game as the radar at the bottom and the crosshair have changed ... :roll:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2006, 11:48 
Editors
Editors

Okay. Now about something else. What do you guys think of the gameplay.
I believe it rocks but it is soooooo difficult. I die every time even though i'm now playing on easy.
Also i think the squad members are kinda stupid at some times.
I had more than once that one of the members just ran in to a with enemys infested courtyard even though i ordered him to hide behind a wall or something. Really irritating. :?

Any tips and tricks would be helpfull. :D

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2006, 13:03 

I would have to agree - the gameplay is hard. But that's fine. The gameplay feels SOLID which is the main thing, and too many games of late have been released feeling unpolished.... so GRAW is a refreshing change.

My biggest complaint it the arrangement of keys for crouching/prone/standing. You have to reach other and press V to stand up: I am constantly going prone. But i guess i can remap that.

Directing the teammate AI is a bit difficult; using the wheel to select a team member, then the wheel again to tell him what to do is a bit tedious. i would prefer a simple "hit 1" point at direction and hit spacebar. In heat of battle you dont have time to screw around with the wheel. In the end i just let them follow me. :P

I am really keen to see how this game works in multiplayer adversial & the terrorist hunt. The co-op was fun, but if the leader dies it's game-over for everyone -- a real kill-joy.

The one thing i CONSTANTLY kept thinking is.... BRING BACK 3RD-PERSON-PERSPECTIVE. i know that means peaking is made obsolete but hopefully some modders can fix it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next