Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 23:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommend an RPG...
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 22:21 
Founder
Founder

Okay, so I really haven't gotten to play a game in months (save for a few games on my iPad). Every spare moment for the last seven months has been going into the Drupal migration. I'm really wanting to sink my teeth into a good RPG or adventure game, and I've got a big backlog. Here is what is currently sitting in my Steam queue (or on my shelf):

• Dragon Age: Origins (Ultimate Edition)

• Drakensang

• Indigo Prophecy

• King's Bounty

• Monkey Island: 1, 2 & "Tales"

• NWN 2 Platinum

• Torchlight

• The Witcher: Enhanced

So, which one should I choose? I know DA2, Witcher 2 and the new Drakensang are out, but I want to play them in order. Not really interested in Mass Effect until the Eyefinity hack is out (and I don't need to buy anything until I complete something I already own). I'm leaning towards Drakensang. I would greatly prefer that runs in Eyefinity (my 5x1-P), but I'm not adverse to hooking the PC up to my HDTV as well.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 22:34 
Administrators
Administrators

From that list, Dragon Age. Also Monkey Island isn't an RPG, its a point and click adventurer game, but 1 and 2 are good games so they are worth playing none the less.

But yes, as for RPG from your list, Dragon Age. If you don't mind waiting till my birthday, then wait for Skymir.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Post subject: The Witcher.No contest.
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 11:24 

The Witcher.

No contest.

Post subject: yogibbear wrote:The
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 11:34 
Editors
Editors

The Witcher.

No contest.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 14:05 
Editors
Editors

[quote]The Witcher.

No contest.

Agreed.
For a game that won't treat you like an idiot, and has a plot and mechanics where you can actually be 'evil' or 'self-serving' without coming across like a small-time thug beating hobos up for cash, the Witcher is it.

That isn't to say, of course, that you can't play the game as a goody-goody, just that it's refreshing to have a game where you don't have to bend over backwards for every random bugger in the world just to progress in the storyline and get some half-decent weapons.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 16:29 
Editors
Editors

The Witcher is one of the games where stereoscopic 3d really adds to the game (even when you have to turn down settings). Since you are a bit hooked on 3D, I'd suggest that. The dark theme gets a much deeper atmosphere in stereoscopic 3d.

But, if you haven't played Monkey Island yet, you should. Thats a classic point and click adventure I would love to forget, so I can play it all over again. :D

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011, 00:22 

from just a pure RPG game play I prefer Torchlight, I've played the main game a few times over but the real fun ins in the community made products. complete overhauls of the game make it virtually new in every way.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 02:29 

Oblivion and Morrowind never gets old with the help of some (Or a couple of hundred) nice mods! :D Or try any of the complete conversions Nehrim or upcoming Andoran for Oblivion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTFPoAjTq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6Em67iuPk

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 04:34 
Founder
Founder

I highly recommend New Vegas. It's better for 3d too because the it has first person perspective.
It's a much better game then witcher because you have soooo much content to explore they spent milloins of $$'s to create all of the content, Witcher is just like a bunch of copy paste houses and all you do is run back and forth and talk to random ppl.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 11:41 

I highly recommend New Vegas. It's better for 3d too because the it has first person perspective.
It's a much better game then witcher because you have soooo much content to explore they spent milloins of $$'s to create all of the content, Witcher is just like a bunch of copy paste houses and all you do is run back and forth and talk to random ppl.

your user name is MW2, unless that stands for mechwarrior 2 you lose all credit on this one.