Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 23:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 02:51 

I cannot believe codemasters has put this out, it's horrendous. This is a very good example of a console port as an after thought for the PC, plane clipping is closer then the distance of the sniper scope in the game, ( which is about the same as the assault rifle ACOG for frik sakes!! ). So as a Soldier I may be critical , but code masters has specifically said in their online 'virals' that this game was developed around 'realism'.. MW2 has more realism then this game.
However when they do the realisim thing they get it right , unfortunately they also get it very wrong.. take for example the sniper bullet physics, it's good, at a specific distance you need to lead your target and take into account wind and elevation, unfortunately the sniper scope is a joke, the magnification is actually less then the ACOG on the M4/M16, and sight glass is 3x the distance from your eye then the ACOG which makes the visable 'magnified sample' smaller, which leads to the cross hairs being 10x too thick, the cross hairs are so thick they actually hide your target, even when leading them..

Graphics are absolute crap, form the 8 missions i played ( i couldn't actually play anymore and keep myself sane), the characters animations did not change one in the back of the humve, i think i saw one texture change with added blood for each character, that's it. one thing that made me just shake my head was when your team mates were running beside you and they were ~ 10 yards from you, their weapons just sort of .. disappeared.. move closer and they return. but this was a common problem, on MAX resolution for everything, I had to lower the AA to 4x because my 6950/70 was at 18fps... this is a game with graphics, that even at max, are about the same as you'd find on say BF1942, this includes the 1942's ~200 yard model and texture clipping plane. ( a distance I must state that is less then the effective range of the weapons in the game..

Controls are adaptable to a good keyboard/mouse setup, the game found my eyefinity setup right away and the interface is centre screen with now H/V distortion. however the weapon control is overly sensitive and takes some time to dial in a setting that is not so console like. Going back to my sniper example, the gun physics are good, but if they are going to implement good physics then they need to give you some control over the sight, as it is, with the 1992 style cross hair and no hash marks or sight adjustments it makes an annoying game even more annoying. The sound is also very very bad, no matter where you are what yoru doing the voices are always coming over a headset, even if the character is sitting beside you in base camp, leaning over to take to you.. still using the mike and headset.. sound positioning is non existent as well, possibly a 2.1 setup but not 5.1.
upgrades and tools are setup up for a console and you ahve to switch between mouse clicks are the arrow keys to navigate. even then the upgrades are pretty lame you start out with the options for iron sight/red dot suppressed or open muzzle. there is, as far as i can find , an upgraded scope for the sniper, so that class is a write off. Voice directions from your Sgt. who sits in the humvee while you go off on your missions is done using pole co-ordinates, so " enemy south west 500 yds" which is fine, problem is, the game does not give you a starting heading nor a usable compass to find your bearing from..

game play can be summed up like this.. 4 hr game 3hrs of riding from place to place in the Humvee listing to Sgt. "Apone' be the classic ride your raggedy ass all day Sgt. and 1 hr of combined actual game play and menu hopping. if your a fan of the Afghanistan map in MW2 and the colour pallet there then you will be in heaven with this game pallet, everything is shades of kakhi.. everything.

So, to sum up:

crap console port
poor graphics, optimization and implementation
poor sound design
REALLY poor game play
lousy weapons mechanics
good gun physics ( too bad they did nothing to support it).

This is a game you look at on the shelf in the game store and thank the Buddha that you did not pre order during all the hype for it.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 04:01 

Ever since Dragon Rising, I've been wondering when the devs are gonna pull their heads outta their asses. The concept and the design looks very good as a layover from MW/WaW to Bad Company 2 or BF3. So it was something I had interest in during the time. But then I heard that on the PC platform, the multiplayer networking will be using P2P. Utter crap. We've all seen how that worked out in MW2.

I do not understand why they designed OpFlash with P2P networking in mind. The game has so much potential when I first saw Dragon Rising. And it all went to crap when I found out about the MP networking methodology.

It goes to show that the devs are becoming more and more blinded by how different console and PC are when it comes to gameplay design. Well, since there appears to be nothing between now and 'till fall 2011, I guess we can sit idly and wait to see what the bigwigs bring us.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 13:27 
Editors
Editors

one thing that made me just shake my head was when your team mates were running beside you and they were ~ 10 yards from you, their weapons just sort of .. disappeared.. move closer and they return. but this was a common problem, on MAX resolution for everything, I had to lower the AA to 4x because my 6950/70 was at 18fps... this is a game with graphics, that even at max, are about the same as you'd find on say BF1942, this includes the 1942's ~200 yard model and texture clipping plane. ( a distance I must state that is less then the effective range of the weapons in the game..

Thats not true, its probably your rigs fault, the draw distance here is insane, im playing it all maxed including 4096 shadows and AA4x at 5040x1050, and game runs smooth at 45+FPS, GPU usage on 3-way SLI always above 93%, btw this game doesnt look like BF1942. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 21:30 

Mouse control is terrible. Ai is terrible.

The first mission goes like this-

driving in humvee
listen to sergeant rant for awhile
get out briefly
shoot a few enemies who run out in the open or stay in place
get back in humvee
4 more minutes of ranting while the humvee drives along at about 10mph
get out again and shoot a few more guys

Every movement is dictated by markers on the ground. Nothing progresses until you move to the next one so you really have no freedom of movement or strategy.

It's junk plain and simple.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 01:12 

Your playing in the same mode I am but a bit lower resolution, I'm on a single HD 6950/70 and your on a 3x SLI and were getting similar frame rate numbers.. nice to know my card is doing so well, either that or multi GPU implementation is THAT bad. But your images do show a few things i'm talking about like the retardedly distant sniper scope and heavy cross hair, on that rifle there should be an ACOG or ELCAN 1-6x scope, I have no clue what's on there but it's not a spec item the X hair should be either beta or tritium enhanced. But that's a minor thing, the 3rd image is what i'm referring to with my 1942 comment, as you move closer to those buildings down the hill, other building s will just sort of pop up, and bad guys will pop up that you should have been able to see at a distance with your 'scope'. This is what I mean by 1942, the extremely colse clipping distance is required on the 360 due to memory limitations, on the PC with the overly excessive optimization of textures , the static sky and distant single plain textures , there should be NO clipping of any kind, all geometry should be visible as far as the eye can see. The trees and shrubs are all instanced, the overhead on those is maybe 2% up close. Extensive use of bump maps to cover for low poly counts..

this game is lousy, Codemasters should be ashamed and I think sales of those game will reflect just how lousy this is, That being said, sites like IGN have given this game a pre release 'trend' of 'hot' or 8/10, they just did a new review that makes it 7+/10. All that does is encourage more companies to do shite. none of these game review rags/on line rags have the guts to give a big company or big publisher back game a lousy mark.

Oh and has anyone figured out how to throw a grenade? are there even grenades in the game that aren't 2nd weapon attachments? Never mind, I've tossed this game.

[quote]one thing that made me just shake my head was when your team mates were running beside you and they were ~ 10 yards from you, their weapons just sort of .. disappeared.. move closer and they return. but this was a common problem, on MAX resolution for everything, I had to lower the AA to 4x because my 6950/70 was at 18fps... this is a game with graphics, that even at max, are about the same as you'd find on say BF1942, this includes the 1942's ~200 yard model and texture clipping plane. ( a distance I must state that is less then the effective range of the weapons in the game..

Thats not true, its probably your rigs fault, the draw distance here is insane, im playing it all maxed including 4096 shadows and AA4x at 5040x1050, and game runs smooth at 45+FPS, GPU usage on 3-way SLI always above 93%, btw this game doesnt look like BF1942. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 01:42 
Editors
Editors

Nothing progresses until you move to the next one so you really have no freedom of movement or strategy.

It's junk plain and simple.

Yes, but thats just like each and every linear FPS out, like CoD.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 01:46 
Editors
Editors

the 3rd image is what i'm referring to with my 1942 comment, as you move closer to those buildings down the hill, other building s will just sort of pop up, and bad guys will pop up that you should have been able to see at a distance with your 'scope'. This is what I mean by 1942, the extremely colse clipping distance is required on the 360 due to memory limitations, on the PC with the overly excessive optimization of textures , the static sky and distant single plain textures , there should be NO clipping of any kind, all geometry should be visible as far as the eye can see.

Again, its probably your rigs fault, draw distance here is absolutely insane, check the first two screenshots ive posted, enemies or buildings dont "pop up" here.
Btw you mentioned that "I had to lower the AA to 4x because my 6950/70 was at 18fps... ", i get 35 FPS all maxed with AA8x. :wink:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 09:43 

Thales can you post a couple of those pics at full resolution so I can see how detailed it looks please. ;) Much appreciated champ.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 10:09 
Insiders
Insiders

5040x1050 isn't high enough for ya?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 11:44 
Editors
Editors

Thales can you post a couple of those pics at full resolution so I can see how detailed it looks please. ;) Much appreciated champ.

Hey, yes like Abram said, just click on the images to enlarge. I posted more OFP RR surround screenshots in this thread --> http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23347 :wink:
@op: This user at CM forums related a similar issue, he is running 2 x 6970, maybe its related to your "pop out" issue.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/general-discussion-1335/462129-draw-distance-way-low.html