Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 14:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 22:21 

This I posted on the Bioware forums. Here

So after having experienced some of Two Worlds mages, I had to ask (or implore) Bioware to try to be more innovative in all of their content. I've played all your games. Love them, and you have my respect. But it has diminished somewhat.

I really don't even know where to begin. With everything that can be done in games now, it is a wonder that DAII made it out in so little time, and the effect was that it was sub-par (and not very good at all). Customization was REALLY low, your path was set, you were left to explore the SAME places all the time (with mild changes), the RPG element was HEAVILY diminished (was this an RPG game?).

The reason I say this, is I'm concerned. This is a farcry from Baldur's Gate or Kotor. And yes, you will always be measured to those games (just like any company). The art design was well... nice. But where did it take us? Nowhere... I mean... have you seen some of the screen shots of the drab world (or just kirkwall?).

For everyone that is reading this, I want you to take a hard look at your FAVORITE RPG's. Stack it against this (and DA:O) and how does it compare. Did it innovate in anyway? Make it more open? More customizable? Did you actually feel like a hero? I felt like I was in a museum of old ideas. I bring this up because of having seen and experienced a little bit of the mage system of Two Worlds and how you could CREATE your own spells. That is amazing, how is it that it wasn't implemented here? I shouldn't feel like there are only certain things I can pick from and that's who I am. Heck if I want to be a little rogueish with brute strength and maybe learn a few spells... why shouldn't I be able to do that. The game was so linear I felt like I was being pushed down a corridor with a few pictures.

Now for the reason I didn't post this in the DA II forums.

This should apply to ALL Bioware games. Innovate, take chances (and I don't mean going back to the 90's and stealing theirs), make it feel epic, and open. I challenge you to make a great story, but also that you make something that is worth remembering. Because DA II was not it. DA:O was good (and DA II should not only have expanded on it, but should have gone farther!). Do the same for Mass Effect (and for that matter SWTOR). Think of something new and try it, something that will explore what games can do (like the class systems, magic systems, combat systems, etc...).

Like I said before, you will be measured up against other top developers, and your past games. Don't be too overdramatic, but don't go so simple that it becomes dull.

You guys are my favorite company, but I will have to look elsewhere in the future if your RPG's (which you are known for) are going to become what DA II was. A dissapointment.

-A Loyal Follower

*This was supposed to be an open letter about how I feel that some of the core elements of Bioware's games are moving away from RPG's and becoming something completely different, and unimaginative in many ways. That is what I am saying here. Compare and contrast, please. Pit this up against other games that are RPG's (both Bioware and Non).

**I didn't state that I wanted open world. Simply that full linear games tend to be dull.

This was not meant to be about just DA II, but all current and future Bioware games. I know that some of the emphasis was on DA II. But I really wanted (and I have said this numerous times) was an open letter that reflected ALL of Bioware's games, both current and future.

Make an RPG. Not a game that thinks it is one. This goes for this game and the others.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 04:07 

So after having experienced some of Two Worlds mages,

What do you mean by this ?

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 05:17 

I mean to say "experienced some of the gameplay of the mages"

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 17:15 

I totally agree. DAII feels like I'm playing Titan Quest. I run into battle. Find the mage/sin/warrior fire off world cooldowns, pwn mobs, mobs respawn, fire off all my world cooldowns again. Leave area. Go to new area with identical mobs + different background + different skins + get sword +14 instead of sword +13.

Btw I am playing on hard. And yes you do pause sometimes in battle. That doesn't mean it isn't repetitive and that you don't know exactly what is going to happen in battle every single time.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 19:12 

my favourite RPG games have always been Might and magic III-VI there's not been a better series since. For light weight RPG, Torchlight.

which is sad given how old M&M is and Torchlight was made with 1/20th the budget of say Diablo.