Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 14:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age 2
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 14:21 

Guys im having problems running this on DX11 I get really bad artifacting after the cut scene black triangles on the terrain and major slowdown on DX9 it works fine im using a MSI 460GTX HAWK, with the latest Nvidia drivers

the crysis 2 Demo works really fine on me its just this one game I'm having a problem with its my first time actually I normally figure it out myself im stumped now with this one or do I need to get a patch?
Try the nVidia beta drivers (64-bit, 32-bit). In the release notes it says they improved compatibility with DA2 in DX11 mode, along with overall performance. I just love how the developer always comes out and says that it's the hardware's fault when their game performs poorly, instead of their shoddy programming.

Still, makes me wonder if the same thing would happen if he had a disc version, or the Steam version. The issue is it requires a login via EA Store or sommat, isn't it?
The game requires a log-in for use of the DLC because you need to register them with your EA account, but you don't have to be logged in to play the game. No account is required to install the game unless you have purchased it from EA's store.

I find the fact that with these account systems that the devs/pubs can ban you from playing a single player game. Banning from a MP portion for a time I can sort of understand... but banned from single player? Are EA trying to get me to boycott them along with Activision and Ubisoft? There won't be any publishers left I can buy games from at this rate! :oops:
I'm doing my best to try to not boycott EA because it is such a large company with so many developers under its roof. Activision was easy because of their laser-focus on only the franchises that make them money. Epic and Unreal Engine is going to be a little harder because so many games use the engine. Why are you boycotting Ubisoft, though? Is it because of their choice and implementation of DRM? By the way, on the topic of DRM, even though Bioware has widely advertised there is no third-party DRM in Dragon Age 2 I heard that they actually use everyone's favorite SecuROM... Of course the reason they lied was to avoid a pre-release backlash that happens so often when other developers announce what DRM they're using.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:03 
Editors
Editors

Yes, the login is in-game. No matter what version you have, you must have an EA account to play. They changed their tune because the story was picked up by Slashdot and most major gaming publications as well as spreading over gaming forums like grey goo. 50,000+ thread views in under 24 hours is going to draw attention.

Conflicting information, here... if I buy it from EA Store, I need to login. OK, that would be an issue if banned.

But if I actually have to log in to play the game at all WITHOUT DLC, then I'm not going to touch it. That would be acceptable for a multiplayer game (obviously) but for single player?

Armenius says that the disc/Steam version doesn't need to be logged in to EA unless you're using DLC.

As for a boycott... frankly, the games I've enjoyed the most in recent months are Just Cause 2 (SquareEnix), and a host of little indie games. I've played a lot of BC2 and Civ5 recently because I'm 'in the mood' and have a bit of time ATM though.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:17 
Editors
Editors

Oh, and this is a naughty-naughty too, EA:

Dragon Age 2 has SecuROM... (linked to Google cache as reclaimyourgame is down...)

edit: Read around a bit more on the subject; EA are in full damage control grovelling mode at the minute... but it does raise an interesting point: again, pirates won't experience issues of this nature. Ho hum. And EA needs to look at following a route similar to Steam, in that case: seperate forum and game accounts. That would mean a forum ban for rude people, without compromising their ability to play the things they have paid for. This "paid for a license we can revoke at any time with no warning" thing is getting dangerous.

Also makes me wonder whether at some point a dev/pub is going to do the head-in-the-sand trick about issues with a game, and start banning people who post reporting an issue regardless of whether they are rude or unfailingly polite.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 16:49 

So regarding SecuROM, a Bioware employee has been in active discussion with the community about it in this thread. He's basically saying that they didn't lie because it's not the same DRM that is highly publicized and hated by the community, but it's made by the same team... Not only that, but the installer software uses a SONY (?!) rootkit that timestamps installation attempts on their servers, meaning you not only have to go online once after it's installed, but a third party is watching what you're doing and when because it requires you be connected to the internet when installing the game.

That's what I take away from it, anyway.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 16:54 

And EA needs to look at following a route similar to Steam, in that case: seperate forum and game accounts. That would mean a forum ban for rude people, without compromising their ability to play the things they have paid for.

I actually prefer the account tied. As long as forum bans in no way could modify anything outside of the forum itself.

The merging of Forum and 'Game Service' accounts ends up creating much less forum spam and you only need a single login for both which is nice.
The steam forums are a complete cesspool as it is.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 18:44 
Insiders
Insiders

There may be an offline mode, but I was under the impression you needed to activate the game with EAs servers before you could play the first time... necessitating being online at least once and having a working EA account. I could be wrong, but it speaks for itself that the common gamer has no idea anymore what is needed to do just to run a game.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 19:02 

You do have to be online the first time you run the game, but you don't need to sign into your EA account as far as I know. I didn't need to log into mine when running Origins the first time.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 19:23 
Editors
Editors

Origins or DA2?

I know Origins works without talking to the outside world. Well, the main game and Awakening does. The DLC... no. :(

I've bought the damned Ultimate Edition, the DLC is on the DVD... why the hell do I have to have a sodding online account in TWO places to use it? Didn't have to for Oblivion or Fallout 3... bah, humbug, grumble...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 07:56 

Are the Bioware forums not working for anyone else? Seems like no one has posted in the last 4 hrs on there....

Have they FROZEN their forums?????? :shock: I tried to post in the DRM thread and it wouldn't go through....

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 08:28 
Insiders
Insiders

It appears that way for me as well. Can't post, no updated threads for 5 hours or more. Bioware has some of the absolute worst forum software I've ever had the displeasure of using. It is absolutely riddled with bugs. Whomever wrote that piece of junk should never work in the field again. :twisted:

I read a thread on the forum not too long ago with a customer asking why the auto-attack function for consoles wasn't available after the devs stated repeatedly that it would be when it was brought up as a major repeated question from the player base. A dev responded that there was a mixup when they went gold and the "auto attack file" wasn't included on the master. Whoops :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next