Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 13:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 08:16 
Administrators
Administrators

See for me, the Space Quest series of games defined my childhood gaming experience, but I understand they probably fall in the same bucket along with the Police Quests. Good ol Roger Wilco.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 18:41 

Hmm... i must be the wrong generation...

When i was a little kid... it was Secret Agent Man, Prince of Persia, some weird Flight game with Bi-planes shooting each other, and some other weird puzzle game with a dense forest and you played a kid trying to solve something...weird bells and stuff hidden in the jungle... (though this one is just flashes of what it looked like... can't remember it at all).

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 19:35 
Insiders
Insiders

The project isn't about nostalgia. Only games that I think deserve to be played a hundred years from now. You don't see Citizen Kane constantly voted "best movie ever" by people who saw its initial release as kids, after all.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:39 

Hey everyone
I'm new to this forum and this looks like a good topic to post my first reply.

I'd have to go with the Mech Warrior series ( specifically mech warrior 3 ) as a game that everyone should try at least once. For me, it was the scope of mech upgrades and having to salvage these upgrades from destroyed enemies that made it a such a great game. Also it was one of the first games I can remember that utilized the joystick to it's full potential. Even now with my bazzillion button mondo joystick, I still could use a few more options for mapping all the commands needed. I for one am perplexed why there are not more mech type games available. There is something aweinspiring about sitting behind the controls of a giant machine and laying waste to all you see and with todays wide screen capabilities, so much the better.

Ives

ps - My second game of epic importance would be the original half life for the simple fact of total story immersion plus it was a launching pad for some awsome modders to have some fun.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:40 

Rosebud.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:55 

Perhaps then, Civilization or Age of Empires.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 11:16 

Out of those two, Civilization is probably the one to cover in this context. Age of Empires, while a great game, is hardly important to the history of gaming.

The games to cover are IMHO not necessarily just those to introduce a new concept, but those that really introduced one to a large audience. Or many concepts, as the case may be with some games.

yogibbear listed some modern games and I agree with a few of them.
- Half-Life 2 for featuring a professionally developed setting and plot in a video game, and technology for the story's delivery that was very advanced for its time, and also for practically making "digital game shopping" synonymous with Steam.
- Max Payne for introducing the "cinematic gaming" concept to wide audiences.
- Portal is responsible for the modern rebirth of high production value puzzles and also added momentum to the indie game scene.
- Counterstrike for being largely synonymous with "online shooter".

And my additions:
- GTA, like I first said, for introducing the "open world shooter" concept.
- Doom for pioneering the FPS genre.
- Command & Conquer for doing the same for the RTS genre.
- Simcity or Transport Tycoon for creating the "serious game" genre.

Most were not actually the first in their genre (Doom : Wolfenstein, Command & Conquer : Dune, etc.) but were the first to hit everyones hard drive and are the ones remembered today as where it all started.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 22:35 
Insiders
Insiders

New game added: Super Mario Bros.
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/GA101+-+Super+Mario+Bros.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 03:52 
Insiders
Insiders

New game added: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past:
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/GA101+-+The+Legend+of+Zelda+A+Link+to+the+Past

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 06:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Cranky, I really like this series you're doing. Keep it up. Each one is a good read.