Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 14:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Gaming Engine
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 21:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Unreal Engine 3.

It provides incredible visuals, amazing performance, has a great SDK and toolset, and is so widely used you know it's capable of anything. Every month a new build of UDK is released with a ton of new features, fixes, and changes. They just released December's UDK build today with full support for iOS and mobile platforms.

Source engine is just far too old, the visuals are extremely lacking, it does not implement a lot of current-generation technologies or next-generation technologies, and it's toolset just isn't up to par with today's needs. There were also very little changes in the engine over the years.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 18:26 

What do you think is the best gaming engine ever and why?

/10char.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 19:37 
CryENGINE® 3

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 21:22 

CryENGINE® 3

So far, it looks pretty crap to me.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 23:43 

I'd have to say CryEngine 2 and 3. They may not be the most popular, but the work i've seen done with them (outside of the crysis series) blows everything else out of the water graphically.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 12:06 

Nice thread. The source engine has a nice SDK and HL2 was amazing when it came out. The CryEngine was mindblowingly far ahead as far as graphics, and it came out in the same period. Whatever they used for Red Faction was interesting because of the (somewhat) freely destroyable surroundings.

But... I guess this is mostly due to nostalgia but I'd probably choose the Build engine. That's what they used for Duke Nukem 3D among other games. It's was pretty high-tech for its day, made for a really pretty and lively game world, and supported some revolutionary & ingenious features like camera switching and working mirrors. Also, the ability for spaces to overlap was pretty interesting and made it possible to create huge maps in a small grid. It had its fair share of glitches but I loved it when I was a kid.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2010, 19:30 

I'd have to say CryEngine 2 -snip-

I can agree with this ^^ (Not the "3" bit though... that is yet to be proven beyond some very very poor tech demos)

But... then we get into the "gaming" definition... and is it "good" for "gaming" or is it just impressive and doing pretty much everything you could want to do (provided you had infinite horsepower and zero bottlenecks?).... [And yes my Crysis runs at 30fps+ with a few settings not on ultra but on game or whaever it was.]