Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 00:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Game Length
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 11:29 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Guess Im a weird one. I'd like every game to be long, as long as it isn't incredibly difficult and the missions dont get repetitive.

That's sad, I want it to be difficult, and I want to die until I figure it out. But being repetitive, I agree.
meh, i dont game for the challenge. I game for the fun experience and cool scenery.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 21:04 

There are games that I played enormous times, and that were games that have a original storyline, good music, no frustrating controls and no great time pressure. But sometimes playing with a team is a big replay factor.

The games that comes to my mind are
*Ocarina of time
*Portal
*Unreal tournament 2004
*Team Fortress 2
*Borderlands
*Minecraft
*Disgaea
*Warcraft 3 Custom maps
*Dungeon Keeper
*Plants vs Zombies
*Cave Story
*Worms
*Final fantasy 6
*Super smash brothers melee

Than there is a list of games that I played once or twice, and are worth mention.
*Warcraft 3 Singleplayer
*Just Cause
*Primal
*Overlord
*Audiosurf
*Assassins creed
*Prince of persia
*Metroid Prime
*Aquaria
*World of Goo
*Resident evil 4 & 5
*Gears of War
*Braid
*Advance wars
*Super Mario RPG

And a lot more...
Sometimes playtime is a factor, other times the epic journey remains within you.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 01:09 
Founder
Founder

[quote]I was about to come up with a rebuttal till I saw "Puzzle Quest: 70 Hours of Bejeweled later... Screw you Lord Bane." then I had to laugh.

I was having tons of fun for the first I don't know, 15 hours or so, which is plenty long in my opinion. It was really drawn out though. Things like making you backtrack to the beginning towns forcing you to fight monsters which take like 3-10 minutes or so. :doh
Was searching for something else and found this thread (sorry for the necro). I loved Puzzle Quest. Was great to play in the bathroom on my PSP. Totally fit a few spare minutes to game... :shock: 8) :oops:

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 04:32 

Since Ibrin brought out the necro thread, I guess I'll chime in.

I think the ideal situation is a game that allows you a massive amount of exploration, side-quests, or replay value for collections and perfection scores, etc, but doesn't necessarilly require it. Some people just want to finish that main storyline and be done, and others go for the long haul.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 04:47 
Insiders
Insiders

I loved this thread so much back when it was made that I didn't post in it. But now I'd just like to say that I don't care how long a game is, just as long as it's fun the whole time. That's a fine line to walk to be sure, but when perfect match between longevity and fun is made; that's when the magic happens.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 00:06 
Administrators
Administrators

Has anyone got 100% completion in Just Cause 2? It'd take ages. I think this comes back to the repetitive thing once you have finished all the story missions, it's pretty much the same. Enter location, carve up any Panau assets, look for the cases, spend half an hour on 97% completion looking for that one silly thing that is left, finally find it, head to a new location, repeat x 368 times.

Now, I love Just Cause 2 to pieces, best 7 dollars I ever spent, but I think I shall forfeit the final 50 years of gameplay required to get 100% completion before I go insane.

For me, the best game lengthwise was Oblivion. I was so into it by the end of the main story, and had some side quests to finish at the end to satisfy my hunger, then left the game with great memories before it all got too repetitive.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 04:32 

Has anyone got 100% completion in Just Cause 2? It'd take ages. I think this comes back to the repetitive thing once you have finished all the story missions, it's pretty much the same. Enter location, carve up any Panau assets, look for the cases, spend half an hour on 97% completion looking for that one silly thing that is left, finally find it, head to a new location, repeat x 368 times.

Now, I love Just Cause 2 to pieces, best 7 dollars I ever spent, but I think I shall forfeit the final 50 years of gameplay required to get 100% completion before I go insane.

For me, the best game lengthwise was Oblivion. I was so into it by the end of the main story, and had some side quests to finish at the end to satisfy my hunger, then left the game with great memories before it all got too repetitive.

As far as JC2 goes... I've only spent about 60 hours on the game and I'm at 65% completed. It's kind of nice to fire up the game every now and then and just blow up a town and get some completion.

There's a mod that lets you load a save file and shows you what you're missing so you don't pull your hair out at the end looking for those last 2 pickups.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 12:53 
Editors
Editors

Link to Mod? :)

I restarted my JC2 game back at Easy (I was on Realistic or Hardcore or whatever they call it) because I got tired of having a million and one helicopters descend on me every time one of the Panau military jeeps even drove near me in the game.

It's a lot more enjoyable - can get a good collection of enemies shooting at you... without having to die to lose your heat.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 21:05 

Here it is: http://www.justcause2mods.com/index.php/mods/other/Miscellaneous/JC2-Map-Viewer/

I just wish there was a in-game version of the mod so you don't have to load it and check it out outside of the game.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 00:00 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the link. :)