Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 22:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 14:05 
Administrators
Administrators

Coop means that I am sold.

Same

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 01:07 
Founder
Founder

I realize this is an old thread (was searching for something else). However, the WSGF would fully support any member in their efforts in creating PC games. We'd through any and all support your way.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2011, 08:54 

How did I miss this topic before? I'd love to see a new company that focuses on PC exclusives.

Sure, it can be a tough market if you're niche and releasing on only one platform. But I still think it's possible to be successful. The best example of an existing company with the same goals, that I can think of, is Frictional Games. And just recently they gave word that Amnesia has actually sold beyond their wildest dreams, as a PC only title.

http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2011/01/four-months-after-amnesias-release.html

At 200,000 copies sold in such a short time for a niche indie title, on PC only, and with no real marketing campaign: it's doing pretty darn good.

There's still money to be made and acclaim to be had, if one's expectations aren't absurdly unrealistic. That's the problem with most publishers/developers these days. They think they have to bet the farm in order to succeed, and correspondingly they're not satisfied with anything less than millions of copies sold.

Instead of blowing money on Hollywood actors for voice talent, hiring huge burdensome teams, having massive marketing budgets that are larger than the game's own development budget, and producing an endless stream of sequels and "me too" titles - Frictional sets an example that more developers should follow. Making a great game with a small team and small budget, that still has high production values.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011, 16:05 

Thanks again all. The dream is still that, a dream, but it's getting a thorough consideration. Many, many factors to mull over and we're all at different stages in our careers.

I'll definitely let everyone know if we decide to launch this venture though.

Cheers,
Chris

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2011, 12:51 

Those of us who follow the teachings of the Gaming Gods salute you sir
you are a true visionary...

and remember

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011, 18:17 

geko, you have a PM..

PostPosted: 02 May 2011, 18:07 

Any news Gecko?

Any ideas swirling around with you guys?

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 03 May 2011, 21:17 

the last message I received was that they were still "looking at options", which is sort of like saying, 'they' lack the ability to make the jump from 9-5 job to full on game company. Too bad, I would have gone in with them, nothing like having a real solider on staff who's also certified on many different animation platforms, as it is I'm staying in the military and heading back out shortly. The guys at Adhesive ( Hawken) are baller in my book, they've got the 'go big or go home' attitude, Canadian's from birth i think are pre programmed not to do that with out 100 different options, studies and dry runs...

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 11:06 

i'm no expert in how to start a gaming company, but i do believe that the only way to gain momentum in getting there is to actually start working on a project. don't worry about trying to get the company up and running. focus your energy on gathering hard working, talented people who seem genuinely interested. there are plenty of people who will work on a project without pay if they are passionate about it and if they think the project has promise. you'd be amazed at how many incredibly talented and hard working people will offer to help.

so, at this point, the game is more important than the company because that is what will make or break it all, not the other way around. you've probably already thought about all of this, so sorry if it may be redundant to you, but just my two cents after stumbling on this topic.

edit: oh, and i forgot to add, I LOVE THE IDEA. i truly do. we need more truly passionate pc oriented gaming companies.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2011, 04:24 
Founder
Founder

Sorry you will fail, no one has high end gaming PC's any more, everyone just plays consoles and even the small fraction of PC gamers consists of 50% pirates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next