Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 13:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: starcraft 2
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 19:27 
Editors
Editors

Nice write-up, koawinter. I value the opinions of my fellow gamers far more than reviewers. In fact I stopped by the Metacritic page for SC2 the other day and immediately thought the grading upwardly-slanted. I know from experience that reviewers who are so enamored of a game often leave out or casually dismiss most/all negatives in their fiesta of praise. Right now MC shows eleven perfect scores. Really? Eleven? Methinks Blizzard is getting some official fanboy love.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 20:49 

There's *only* 3 CG movies because they don't want to pack the game on 5 dvd's (unless you want low quality). Seriously, it came on 1 dvd and that's fine by me. They don't want to pull a Lost Odyssey and do a ton of CG on 4 dvd's. Not to mention digital distribution would be hell.

I never cared about reviewer ratings anyway. I pretty much guessed a 95 average (it's sitting at 94 right now on metacritic) regardless of what the game actually was like.

Clearly I didn't play thousands of hours of SC1 / Warcraft 3 for the campaign, but this one definitely took the cake in terms of RTS campaigns for me. Beating every mission on brutal and getting every achievement was actually not a chore for me and enjoyable / reasonably challenging for a single player endeavor. The plot is woefully incomplete right now and I wasn't a huge fan of the overall plot in the campaign.

As far as playing with friends on LAN... all of my roommates (I have 3 roommates) play on b.net with me as well as a ton of friends who come over to play. No LAN has not hindered us at all. B.net 2.0 itself is missing several KEY features that they *promised* will be patched in LATER (wth does later mean). That's my biggest gripe.

Competitive multiplayer is a mixed bag. The different divisions are great for casuals but the overall ladder is muddled since eveyrone is split between thousands of divisions. Personally I made Diamond 1v1 and 2v2, so you could claim that I'm in the top divisions on the ladder. I was also active on the warcraft 3 ladder and held a top spot in 2v2. I'm not sure which one I prefer more. SC2's ladder system is definitely less *stressful* with the bonus pool and nice *everyone gets a bone* setup with only 100 people in each division.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 15:17 

As far as playing with friends on LAN... all of my roommates (I have 3 roommates) play on b.net with me as well as a ton of friends who come over to play. No LAN has not hindered us at all. B.net 2.0 itself is missing several KEY features that they *promised* will be patched in LATER (wth does later mean). That's my biggest gripe.

Which may work for you as you live in America. Not every country around the world has a battle.net server located in a ping friendly nearby country (let alone in their country). For example Australia.... :evil:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2010, 21:34 

[quote]As far as playing with friends on LAN... all of my roommates (I have 3 roommates) play on b.net with me as well as a ton of friends who come over to play. No LAN has not hindered us at all. B.net 2.0 itself is missing several KEY features that they *promised* will be patched in LATER (wth does later mean). That's my biggest gripe.

Which may work for you as you live in America. Not every country around the world has a battle.net server located in a ping friendly nearby country (let alone in their country). For example Australia.... :evil:
Then that's a much larger issue than not having LAN; because regardless of LAN or not the most important MP play will still be on battle.net. I heard that SEA in general sucks for SC2 and that's why they're unlocking that region.

They claim that LAN will be added at a later date with a check to b.net for authentication every now and then. Don't know how long that will take.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 00:34 

Then that's a much larger issue than not having LAN; because regardless of LAN or not the most important MP play will still be on battle.net. I heard that SEA in general sucks for SC2 and that's why they're unlocking that region.

They claim that LAN will be added at a later date with a check to b.net for authentication every now and then. Don't know how long that will take.

There are tons of related issues, Battle.net is really the key issue for me and almost everyone else.

The game it self is great, GREAT. Too bad about Battle.net though, I guess thats what happens when you bring someone in formerly of Xbox Live and Popcap to work on a serious part of a serious PC game.

At some point I'll work up the nerve to ask Dustin Browder about Surround in SC2, even if its just for singleplayer etc.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 01:03 
Editors
Editors

I guess thats what happens when you bring someone in formerly of Xbox Live and Popcap to work on a serious part of a serious PC game.

Huh? Did the lead b.net designer come from that background? I know Xbox Live is the pinnacle of online awesome, but what Popcap product features any significant online mp component?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 19:59 

Huh? Did the lead b.net designer come from that background? I know Xbox Live is the pinnacle of online awesome, but what Popcap product features any significant online mp component?

He was in charge of bringing Popcap games to other platforms (like 360, iPhone etc)

He comes from a marketing backround, moved into a General Management position over on Xbox Live and then to a VP position on Game Platforms at popcap, and then onto Project Director of Battle.net 2.0.

Edit: Greg Canessa

Another negative to go along with the discussion about the SEA servers before is the region system is just horrible. Here's an example... Lets say that I move from North America to Korea, It's temporary for like a year and a half. Which version of the game do I buy? If I got the American one I would be forced to play on NA servers with 400+ ping.

If I got the Korean one I could not have english what so ever[citation-needed] and when I move back to NA I could only exclusively use my account on Korean servers with my Korean game client (which also happens to be censored for some stupid reason[1].)

Cranky doesn't mind, as it stops people from buying a regional copy with a lower price. I believe that this is MUCH better than banning people, but christ this is frakking stupid, 100% lose-lose as a consumer.

I would like to make a little list of negatives about this game, care to help?

Lack of AR support above 1.6
Price
Lack of LAN support
Lack of Chat rooms
Lack of Cross Region Play

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 00:35 

I was able to load up SC2 in Eyefinity portrait mode, but the game doesn't detect my bezel compensation.

It's...interesting in portrait Eyefinity, but I find the bezels are much more intrusive to the play experience due to the nature of RTS games. It's neat, but it takes away from the overall polish of the game.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2010, 16:58 

I want Kerrigan and her post transformation english voice with effects ...
starcraft without it is like a driver without a car .. it's just incomplete in my opinion

as good as the starcraft 2 content is... , it just feels incomplete & frustrating to me to only have a terran campaign

sidenote: if anyone noted the starcraft 1 expansion dropped the nice effects on her voice...

PS: sorry if I stumble in the middle of other discussions but I just felt like voicing my opinion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6