Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 04:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Frontlines: Fuel of War
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2008, 21:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Widescreen Grade: B
Multi-monitor Grade: C

Read Full Detailed Report - Frontlines: Fuel of War

Frontlines: Fuel of War is a near future online FPS in the Battlefield series style. The titular schtick is the 'frontline' mechanic which limits capping of flags to those on the frontline. Unlike many such online shooters it has no persistent stats and unlocks are only gained by in game kills during that round.

Last edited by Mach1.9pants on 11 May 2013, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 05:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Can you re-do the first set of screenshots? The first two aren't from the same place, so they don't really demonstrate hor + behavior.

If you want to show that the surround is broken but don't want to take three new shots, you can just take a 4:3 shot and a 16:10 shot, and use those in place of the old 4:3 shot, leaving your original 16:10 -> surround comparison right below it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 05:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Can you re-do the first set of screenshots? The first two aren't from the same place, so they don't really demonstrate hor + behavior.

If you want to show that the surround is broken but don't want to take three new shots, you can just take a 4:3 shot and a 16:10 shot, and use those in place of the old 4:3 shot, leaving your original 16:10 -> surround comparison right below it.

Whoops I must have taken a step forward some how when switching between the screenshots. They are NOW in almost the same place is this OK? If not I will do them all again, cos I have to restart my PC to get back onto my 24"
Cheers
M1.9P

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 11:03 

I like the single player campaign and play it a lot... the videos are anamorphic and not stretched, I can submit some pics if you refuse to load up the opening movie and test them out.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 11:32 
Insiders
Insiders

I like the single player campaign and play it a lot... the videos are anamorphic and not stretched, I can submit some pics if you refuse to load up the opening movie and test them out.

No I absolutely REFUSE to have anything to do with it! ;)
LOL fair enough, I just never saw this as a SP game. The vids seemed cheesey and the SP quite different from the MP (ie you can drive AND shoot a jeep in SP, not MP) so no use for practice IMO. Same way I never played more than a few minutes of BF all, UT3, ETQW etc etc SP stuff. I never even realised people did!
So I will take some screenies of the opening vid (which I have only ever watched once or twice and now just ESC through) and remove my opinions of the SP from the DR.
Cheers
M1.9P
EDIT: vid and menu shots up for StingingVelvet; new screenies in the exact same place for Cranky :)

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2008, 23:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks for re-doing the shots. They're close enough.

I noticed that comparing the 5:4 to the 16:10, the proportions don't seem to be consistent. So I tried stretching the 5:4 shot to 1365x1024 (a 4:3 resolution), and then when comparing the two, the proportions seemed right.

So I'm hypothesizing that 5:4 is *not* properly supported. 4:3 is, and using a 5:4 resolution makes the game use a 4:3 FOV frustum.

Also, the HUD seemed fine, unless I'm missing something. So my guess is that in your 16:10 shots, the HUD that seemed slightly stretched is actually perfect, and the HUD in the 5:4 shots is a bit too tall (but would be perfect at a 4:3 resolution).

Edit: Scrolling down a bit more, I saw your menu screenshots. It does in fact show a 4:3 option but not a 5:4 one.

==Singleplayer anomalies==

Can you do a comparison here too?

==Cut-scenes=

FYI, these are hor +, not anamorphic. Anamorphic would be if the black bars got smaller but the FOV frustum remained the same.

==Grading==

Probably a B+. I just want to see the scope comparison shots, and I also want to know if you still think the HUD is stretched.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 00:09 

WAIT, WAIT WAIT. The game uses Unreal 3 engine AND is Hor+ out of the box? Very nice.
I hope the campaign is longer than Call of Duty 4.

And to other developers, look at this game, you can have Hor+ too!!!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 00:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Your right Cranky, the HUD is not stretched in WS but squashed in 5:4 d'oh sometimes I can't see the trees for the forest! :oops:
Now fixed (I hope) :)

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 02:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Game graded. B+, coverage is 100%. The sole blemish is the stretched scope view (pillarboxing would be an appropriate way to handle this).

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 07:15 

For the record, you can enable the console and windowed mode by editing the .ini files in C:Documents and SettingsMy DocumentsMy GamesFrontlines - Fuel of WarGCGameConfig.

In GCInput.ini:

[Engine.Console]
ConsoleKey=Tilde
TypeKey=SemiColon

In GCEngine.ini:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
StartupFullscreen=False

Using the console, you can adjust your FOV with the fov command.