Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 21:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Forgot
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 02:06 

...oh and I forgot one thing:

When I press the "F" key, which supposedly opens the quick menu, it will not work. Is this just a Dungeon Lord bug? You'd think they'd have fixed that, though, considering I have the Collector's Edition (which is version 1.5).

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 02:25 

depends on the monitor, most monitors display 'out of scan range' or something along those lines if not a plain blank screen when you feed them something they don't like, a few are a bit smarter. My 1440x900 19" samsung here downscales anything over it's native without asking, I can feed it 1080i or 1080p without issue, it just downscales it a bit, nice feature and one wonders why most/all screens don't do that, it's not like you need uber dupper scaling engines to do so, a simple basic scale down works. (of my 3 screens, the samsung is the 'cheapest' yet has such a feature, the others don't)

Post subject: Response
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 03:13 

Yeah, my monitor does have built-in scaling. So then, seems like I didn't even need to adjust the hex code in the first place?

Post subject: More
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 04:01 

Ok, even though my monitor does have scaling, when I switched the hex code back to the default the game would not display hi-res when I switched the in-game control to 1600x1200. The hex code adjustment has to be in place, AND the in-game has to be selected to 1600x1200 for the whole thing to work right. Kind of confusing, but whatever, it works. I just wish I knew what was wrong with the game's "F" key for the quick menu shortcut, but I guess I need another forum for that one. Unless someone here knows what the deal is with that.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 04:12 

When I press the "F" key, which supposedly opens the quick menu, it will not work. Is this just a Dungeon Lord bug? You'd think they'd have fixed that, though, considering I have the Collector's Edition (which is version 1.5).

I tested with my native res and 1680x1050 and the f key works. You might have changed the binding in the controls menu. Or maybe you accidently have two things binded to the f key causing the conflict. The menu appears in the bottom right.

Ok, even though my monitor does have scaling, when I switched the hex code back to the default the game would not display hi-res when I switched the in-game control to 1600x1200. The hex code adjustment has to be in place, AND the in-game has to be selected to 1600x1200 for the whole thing to work right. Kind of confusing, but whatever, it works. I just wish I knew what was wrong with the game's "F" key for the quick menu shortcut, but I guess I need another forum for that one. Unless someone here knows what the deal is with that.

Scaling would just stretch the 4:3 image which would make everything look fatter. So the HEX edit is preferred for widescreen displays.

My guess for why your 1600x1200 is the widescreen res is that is the value you changed in the exe file. There are values listed for each resolution and you change the corresponding 4:3 resolution that you have selected.

So if you changed the "40 06 00 00 C7 05 E4 09 60 00 B0 04" you changed the 1600x1200 value which is why it goes into widescreen.

Post subject: Got it
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 04:25 

Ah, I see. That's exactly the value I changed, which is why my widescreen activates at 1600x1200. Now I finally understand how this whole thing functions, and am happy. Thank you.

And I found out from another forum that you first have to have a spellbook before the F key will function. But until then, I can still access the quick slots through the inventory.

Thanks again, and good job figuring out the widescreen fix...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 04:31 

I am glad you got it working. :)

Post subject: Keys
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 15:22 

I have one more inquiry for you, Sakatei:

Do you know how to use the hex code to remap keys? Since my PC game keyboard preference is to always have things centered around the direction arrow keys on the right side of a standard keyboard, my secondary concern with Dungeon Lords would be the ability to switch most of the quick slot keys (2 thru 8) over to the numberpad's 2 thru 8 keys (on the right side of a standard keyboard, next to the direction arrow keys).

But at the very least, my PRIMARY concern would be to remap the 1 key to the End key (which is right above the up arrow key in that spot where there are those group of six keys bunched together: Page up, Page down, etc). Then I could put health potions in quick slot 1, and when I want to drink a health potion my index finger would just shoot up to the End key above the up arrow key so my hand doesn't have to travel all the way over to the 1 key on the left. This would be NICE.

I don't suppose you know how to do that? The game won't let you remap the quick slot keys, which is a pretty big oversight.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 19:56 

I think that they are hidden in code somewhere. I looked over the file structure and I could not even guess where to start.

http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21088

Perhaps there is a custom keymapping utility on the web. I was unable to find any but I am not that familiar with those types of programs.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007, 21:40 

Thanks for your time and help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next