Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 May 2008, 16:47 
Insiders
Insiders

I am not sure if this is a function of the new nvidia driver or Vista or what - but wouldn't this qualify as a native solution?

Only if EVERY resolution (out of the ones we require) that the game is compatible with work natively. There have been some games that supported everything but 1280x720 or 1280x768 natively, but one of these two had to be put in via .ini edit, making the whole solution .ini for lowest common denominator purposes.

PostPosted: 17 May 2008, 03:35 

For some reason when I increase the resolution to widescreen. The screen tilts to the right.

I just edited the ini file like described and I also use UT 4.36 GOTY.

I had the same problem with Unreal, UT and DS9: The Fallen.

Had to use 1280*800 until I rememred I had to use Win9x compatibility mode (otherwise the game would not run at the correct speed)

Removed the compatibility mode, rez works like a charm, but not a the correct speed (something a quick trip to AMD's website fixed)

It's called AMD's Dual-Core optimiser. I now have to test it with power management enabled, although I think Unreal's engine checks the speed only at launching... But it fixed it for me... DS9 at 1680*1050 (yeah!)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 20:39 

My UT'99 supports widescreen naturally... I wonder why. Well I did get mine from Unreal Anthology, and all of thoes games support widescreen.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 13:43 

It might show you what you can display, but it's highly unlikely you'll be in the right fov for each of them.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 19:42 

I can confirm that Unreal Tournament does indeed work with 1920x1200.
I use windows vista 32, 8800gts, with a 26" Benq monitor.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 01:18 

works fine in 1360x768

i had the same problem with my LCD TV when i first started using widescreen resolutions (the shifting to the right) i enabled "WXGA" on the TV and now everything is perfectly centered

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 01:27 

Hi all.

After posting here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9849#comment-180768
the moderator Tamlin asked me to post here 'cause I have different ideas about fov setting in UT.

Here The_cranky_Hermit says that Unreal Tournament use hor+ method.
It doesn't. Every Unreal engine use the vert- method.
If U switch from a 4:3 resolution to an 16:9 or 16:10, the horizontal field remains the same, where the vertical will be decreased.

This behavior is found in Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT2003, UT2004 and UT3 and also in other games which use the U-engines like America's Army (UE2) or Gears of War (UE3).
There 2 games are shown in this site as vert-, where Unreal Tournament and UT2004 descriptions report a hor+.

So, I think it's better to verify if I'm in wrong or not.

Just for adding a tip.. In every U-engine (but where is not permitted), you can change the FOV typing in console
FOV
without touching the .ini files.

I'm here for every question. thx.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 03:44 
Insiders
Insiders

Unreal games are hor + if you fix the FOV manually (assuming you can), and vert - if you do not. We always provide solutions for fixing the FOV manually if it's possible, and in the case of UT and every other Unreal engine game we list as hor +, it is. I have no idea what your point is, or what your "different ideas" about FOV are.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 12:59 

My idea about FOV is specified in the link posted to me last post.
And I agree with the WSGFWiki:
Vert-:
A vert - game is a game that when played on a widescreen monitor with a widescreen resolution, decreases the vertical component of the FOV.

Hor+:
A hor + game is a game that when played on a widescreen monitor with a widescreen resolution, expands the horizontal component of the FOV while keeping the vertical component roughly or exactly the same.

Unreal engines behavior is ALWAYS vert- native, although you can set the FOV manually to reach the hor+ like U wrote. If the commong meaning here of the hor+ is this (a hor+ native or a vert- than can be fixed) it's ok for me.

In every game I tested with U engines, I can modify the fov in more than a way (menu and/or .ini and/or console command), so U-Engines are hor+ here.

So it's better to fix here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9624
where Red Orchestra (Unreal Engine 2) was declared vert-

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2008, 19:57 
Insiders
Insiders

My idea about FOV is specified in the link posted to me last post.

I think your idea is flawed. You are assuming that vertical FOV should be proportional to the monitor's height. You will never find any FPS that works this way natively. If you take any FPS ever created, play it on a 15" 1024x768 monitor and a 20" 1600x1200 monitor side by side, they will both display the exact same image, only the 20" one is bigger.

The only games that work the way you are suggesting are essentially 2D. In a true 3D game, the vertical FOV should always be fixed.

Unreal engines behavior is ALWAYS vert- native, although you can set the FOV manually to reach the hor+ like U wrote.

That's more or less exactly what I said in my last post.

In every game I tested with U engines, I can modify the fov in more than a way (menu and/or .ini and/or console command), so U-Engines are hor+ here.

Are any of these games ones that we list as "vert -"? If so, you could help us by showing us how to increase the FOV in those games and taking comparison screenshots.