Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 21:21 

You can use tidy plates to work around the nameplate issue. But you need to change a line of code, or in widescreen the plates will be incorrectly positions after they are refreshed.

In OnShowNameplate add the following after the call to UpdateNameplateStyle.

Code:
if not InCombat then objectstyle = style.hitbox; SetObjectShape(plate, objectstyle.width, objectstyle.height) end

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010, 08:44 

Hi.
Would you be able to conduct tests wow with the resolution 2048x1152 ?
Thought about buying this monitor.
I do not know how much justified the choice of such monitor resolution.

(sorry for my English)

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2010, 20:51 

I am a long time wow triplehead player and recently got back to wow with my new 6870 and found out that it still has the same issues it had in 3.x

player arrow on minimap being too small -> Chinchilla Minimap does it right
player arrow on world map too small -> Mapster does it right
Damagetext on Targets too big -> MikScrollingBattleText is something completely different, but solves the problem

but the biggest issue are the crashes to desktop
even in my lowish tripleres 4320*900 with 8AA and AAA enabled and all eyecandy on max it crashes quite often due to the 2gb memory limit of a 32bit application.
Looks like this:
The application has encountered a critical error:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
Program : wow.exe
File : .SIMD.cpp
Line: 141
Requested 1699904 bytes
Press OK to terminate the application.

I have found quite an interesting forum post with a solution to this problem:
FIXED: WoW crashes because of 2GB mem limit
it worked for me
20minutes of Dalaran without crashing!

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 04:56 

I still have yet to get my third Eyefinity monitor working (it's the one that's hooked up to the DisplayPort jack, and I don't have the proper adapter).

However, even with two screens things get a little hard to manage. Specifically, the UI stretches everything out horizontally and that means you wind up with important stuff under the bezels, or way the heck off on the corners. However, AddOns come to the rescue. A few have been mentioned in this thread, but these are the ones I use.

Minimap fix: Mappy. Allows a lot of options, one of which is moving the minimap, increasing resource node dot sizes, and increasing the size or changing the shape of the minimap.
Chat bubbles: Bubblicious. This allows changing the size of the text (and thereby the bubbles themselves). Me, I use it to make them larger, not smaller.
All-inclusive fix: MoveAnything. A little intimidating, but allows moving any of the frames, or even detaching them from the parent (which may lead to problems; my quest tracker has some "phantoms" because I had it attached to UIParent when removing a few old quests). But this is the most helpful large-screen tool in World of Warcraft, so enjoy.

Don't discount changing the UI scale, which is included in the options screen. I have mine set to its maximum, and the action bars are just how I want them.

EDIT: After adding the third monitor and fooling around a bit, I was annoyed that the Quest Tracker wound up in its traditional location, underneath the minimap, whenever I logged back in. It turns out that Mappy is interfering with MoveAnything, or the other way around. Disabling Mappy allowed my Quest Tracker to live on the inside edge of the right-hand screen, where I want it.

Unfortunately Mappy has a few neat options, like flashing resource nodes, better button pmanagement, and a square map; MoveAnything purports to do the last but doesn't. Still, I was able to increase the scale, and at least have a larger map (if not square with buttons arranged nicely).

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 17:49 

but the biggest issue are the crashes to desktop
even in my lowish tripleres 4320*900 with 8AA and AAA enabled and all eyecandy on max it crashes quite often due to the 2gb memory limit of a 32bit application.
Looks like this:
The application has encountered a critical error:
Not enough storage is available to process this command.
Program : wow.exe
File : .SIMD.cpp
Line: 141
Requested 1699904 bytes
Press OK to terminate the application.

I have found quite an interesting forum post with a solution to this problem:
FIXED: WoW crashes because of 2GB mem limit
it worked for me
20minutes of Dalaran without crashing!

Unfortunately, Blizzard has massively changed their forums and it appears they have broken all links to old threads.

Can you tell us more about what the solution is? I'm trying to run 7680x2560 and am getting crashes even on "Good" settings (the middle one). I have to run on "Fair" to play any length of time without a crash.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2010, 18:29 

it involves setting the large address aware flag, so that WoW can reserve up to 3 gigs of memory.
This is done by patching the WoW.exe with a program that was linked in the thread.
In the lost thread was a GMs response which said that this kind of patching is OK.

On a 64-bit OS thats all that is needed.
On a 32-bit OS additional steps may be required.

You can find these steps and the patching program here :
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

good luck, lets cross our fingers 3gigs will suffice for your settigs ;)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:49 

I am running the latest WoW Client with the latest Nvidia Drivers, (2D Surround 5790x1080) and the screen capture function in game is busted. For pictures from a previous session, it describes them as empty when I try and open them. For pictures from a current session, it says that the file is in use by another program.

Anyone experienced this?

Anyone got a fix?

I'm gonna install Fraps and see if its screencap function works tonight...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 18:06 

An update:

The Fraps screen capture works fine, as does the movie capture.

I suppose that'll suffice for those purposes.

Does anyone know why sometimes it'll play WoW in the background when WoW isn't the focus and other times it won't and will minimize WoW?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 09:13 

there is a setting for it.
if you run it fullscreen it should always minimize
but if you run it in a borderless window, it should be in the background.
do you have a key configured for switching between them and are pressing it by accident?

however, in the windowed mode antialiasing and triple buffering weren't working for me, so I run it in full screen mode

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 22:46 

Thanks - You are right; somehow I went from windowed to full screen...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next