Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 04:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Frontlines: Fuel of War
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2008, 10:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks IMK, can I do this with STEAM? that would be great:)
Edit: Found it: C:Program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommonfrontlines fuel of warGCGameConfig
Why do you have to run it in windowed mode?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 04:27 

Thanks IMK, can I do this with STEAM? that would be great:)
Edit: Found it: C:Program Files (x86)Steamsteamappscommonfrontlines fuel of warGCGameConfig

You can do it with Steam as well.

You don't have to use windowed mode. I just put that there in case you want to run it in a window. I personally like to run all my games in windowed mode.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 04:37 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Thanks IMK, can I do this with STEAM? that would be great:)

You can do it with Steam as well.

You don't have to use windowed mode. I just put that there in case you want to run it in a window. I personally like to run all my games in windowed mode.
Thanks, but hey you are weird ;) windowed mode? I want maximum screen for maximum immersion- thus TH2Go
Thanks again :)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 05:27 

I use windowed because I'm a huge multi-tasker. When running games fullscreen, alt-tabbing becomes a major pain. The delays of switching back and forth, the way it resizes windows, and the games that sometimes don't recover from an alt-tab are several reason why I run in a window. I just use a maximized window. It still covers almost all of the entire screen, but at least I can alt-tab easily.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2008, 05:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Makes sense, I certainly don't multi-task when gaming...apart from talking rubbish to my mates on TS2!

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 20:01 
Editors
Editors

==Cut-scenes==

This is of little import for the grading but this game has numerous cinematics of different kinds, each with a unique way to adapt to widescreen.

Both the title intro/trailer and the hand-drawn intro to the campaign are anamorphic.

4:3

16:10

16:9

As described in the DR, other pre-rendered cut-scenes are Hor+ (actually 16:9 content that gets cropped in lower ARs) including the Briefing FMVs.

Real-time rendered cut-scenes are Hor+ with the same 'theatrical letterboxing' in all ARs. (In this scene, it seems there's also more dust as the AR gets higher...)

==Surround Gaming Support==

GeneralAdmission released a fix for Hor+ Surround, see this thread for help & feedback.

Download the Frontlines FOV patch
Download the Frontlines FOV patch (Steam version) (unconfirmed yet, give it a try!)

Once FFOW.exe has been patched, in-game Aspect Ratio settings 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9 will actually correspond to 3x 5:4, 3x 16:10 and 3x 16:9 respectively. So selecting 16:10 will get you the correct FOV in 5040x1050 & 5720x1200.
The hacked exe does not appear to hinder online multiplayer with or without PunkBuster.

Gameplay: Hor+
HUD: stetched
FMVs: all Vert- or stretched
Real-time cut-scenes: Hor+

I did my best to get screenshots you can compare to the OP's (damn you Mach for taking screenies in random spots!). Details and FX are not guaranteed to be the same either.
(The first and fifth (scope) images have bad lighting/textures on most objects; stuff turns solid black as you approach, this is a glitch that seems to appear in v1.03 on the Gnaw map only - in all ARs.)

5040x1050 ("FOVpatched" exe, in-game AR "16:10")

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 22:11 
Insiders
Insiders

(damn you Mach for taking screenies in random spots!)
Mwahahahaaaa!

Wel I like to show different things in all the screenies to make it a little interesting :0

Nice work on the hack though, if I could get the damn game to run I would trial it for you :(

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 05:04 

Is there any new things i should know about getting this game to look good in surround. bout ready to buy it for 5 bucks on steam and wanted to play it in surround notice that this post was from a while ago. is this hack still valid ?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 06:00 
Editors
Editors

Is there any new things i should know about getting this game to look good in surround. bout ready to buy it for 5 bucks on steam and wanted to play it in surround notice that this post was from a while ago. is this hack still valid ?

AFAIK there were no subsequent game patches after releasing the hack. However, I don't remember anyone confirming if the Steam version works or not, so you might be taking a gamble. If scav sees this post maybe he can comment.

FYI, the retail version is dirt cheap @ Amazon. Hack was developed using this version.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2011, 06:56 

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll see if scav sees this in the next few days before i try it.