Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 14:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 04:57 

3 hours later out of stock.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2014, 14:03 
I Donated
I Donated

stangflyer wrote:
3 hours later out of stock.

That's pretty much exactly what happened here. There seems to be some stock moving but it's very limited (or demand is extremely high)...

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 02:37 

DribbelDog wrote:
Greetings gentlemen,

For long I have hoped that my day would come on which joining the widescreen gaming forum would finally make sense, and yesterday that moment arrived. Yesterday my new LG 34UM95-P (http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor, 21:9, 3440x1440) arrived after a long wait, and I'm already starting to grow quite fond of it. From now on I'll be able to provide information regarding games using the 21:9 aspect ratio.

I had been in doubt about either getting a triple monitor setup or this for quite a while, but I fell for this as it has almost the resolution of three monitors, without the bezels and without the fact that 3 monitors in landscape mode (which is how I would have used them since portrait makes less sense from a productivity point of view in my case) would have less vertical pixels. Since I'll be using the monitor for sofware development related work as well, I decided I would prefer this one. Besides that, it looks very stylish on my desk :-). Other than that, I must admit, this is my home monitor and gaming will be one of it's main purposes ;-).

I updated 2 games so far: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (which worked surprisingly well in 21:9) as well as the new MMO Wildstar (which also works well in 21:9). I would consider my backlog of games to be rather large, so if anyone has any requests in terms of testing for 21:9, feel free to ask.

I also have one request for the editors of the website: could the resolution of 3440x1440 be added to the 'tested resolutions' section when updating a game? Currently there's only 2560x1080. I'll try to test games in that resolution as well, but as you might imagine I won't play using that resolution all to often ;-)

Kind regards

I have been looking at this monitor also. What res monitor did you have before?

My problem is I have a dell u2711 at 2560x1440 as my center monitor and 2 dell 1680x1050 screens on the outside of my eyefinity. I have the best of both worlds in that on the games that don't handle multiscreen well I just use the 2711 and then I can go eyefinity if I want.

Before the 14.6 driver I would have to go 5040x1050 and only use 1680x1050 on my u2711 in the center. It worked but I did not like the idea of giving up all that res on the most important monitor: the center one. Plus it had to scale.

Now with the new driver I can use 5920x1440 (1680+2560+1680)x1440. This works great but I have to chop the bottom or the top 390 res off the two side monitors.

My QUESTION IS THIS: Do you think the 3440x1440 is enough of a upgrade over 2560x1440 to warrant the $1000 bucks. I do have the u2711 sold for 350 and the two 1680x1050's sold for $75 bucks each. So I do have half of it paid for.
I also have a 24 inch 1920x1200 in portrait on the side of all this for an extra monitor for teamspeak and my temp monitoring apps.

Any ideas's?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 19:19 
I Donated
I Donated

stangflyer wrote:
DribbelDog wrote:
Greetings gentlemen,

For long I have hoped that my day would come on which joining the widescreen gaming forum would finally make sense, and yesterday that moment arrived. Yesterday my new LG 34UM95-P (http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor, 21:9, 3440x1440) arrived after a long wait, and I'm already starting to grow quite fond of it. From now on I'll be able to provide information regarding games using the 21:9 aspect ratio.

I had been in doubt about either getting a triple monitor setup or this for quite a while, but I fell for this as it has almost the resolution of three monitors, without the bezels and without the fact that 3 monitors in landscape mode (which is how I would have used them since portrait makes less sense from a productivity point of view in my case) would have less vertical pixels. Since I'll be using the monitor for sofware development related work as well, I decided I would prefer this one. Besides that, it looks very stylish on my desk :-). Other than that, I must admit, this is my home monitor and gaming will be one of it's main purposes ;-).

I updated 2 games so far: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (which worked surprisingly well in 21:9) as well as the new MMO Wildstar (which also works well in 21:9). I would consider my backlog of games to be rather large, so if anyone has any requests in terms of testing for 21:9, feel free to ask.

I also have one request for the editors of the website: could the resolution of 3440x1440 be added to the 'tested resolutions' section when updating a game? Currently there's only 2560x1080. I'll try to test games in that resolution as well, but as you might imagine I won't play using that resolution all to often ;-)

Kind regards

I have been looking at this monitor also. What res monitor did you have before?

My problem is I have a dell u2711 at 2560x1440 as my center monitor and 2 dell 1680x1050 screens on the outside of my eyefinity. I have the best of both worlds in that on the games that don't handle multiscreen well I just use the 2711 and then I can go eyefinity if I want.

Before the 14.6 driver I would have to go 5040x1050 and only use 1680x1050 on my u2711 in the center. It worked but I did not like the idea of giving up all that res on the most important monitor: the center one. Plus it had to scale.

Now with the new driver I can use 5920x1440 (1680+2560+1680)x1440. This works great but I have to chop the bottom or the top 390 res off the two side monitors.

My QUESTION IS THIS: Do you think the 3440x1440 is enough of a upgrade over 2560x1440 to warrant the $1000 bucks. I do have the u2711 sold for 350 and the two 1680x1050's sold for $75 bucks each. So I do have half of it paid for.
I also have a 24 inch 1920x1200 in portrait on the side of all this for an extra monitor for teamspeak and my temp monitoring apps.

Any ideas's?

My previous monitor was a 1920x1080 monitor (120Hz that is, Samsung S27A750D. I'm actually still quite fond of the panel but now it'll have to serve as my spare pc's screen). For me it was quite a huge resolution improvement.

To be honest, with your current setup It's really hard for me to judge whether or not it's 'worth it'. Depends on budget if anything I guess. I guess your main reason to upgrade would be a bigger center screen. Also, creating a somewhat stylish desk may be a reason, but I'm not sure whether or not that would work with your side panels. Personally I wouldn't really like screens of different sizes (especially in height), so I'd rather have one big panel, but your opinion of that might be different. If you already actually sold your screens it might make more sense to pay a little extra and go for this...

In any case, I think this is a lovely display, but if you're already using 2560x1440 with two more panels on the side, I find it really hard to tell whether or not it's 'worth it'. That would depend largely on your own opinion and budget.

If only LG made some equally styled, same panel quality 4:3 1920x1440 monitors to put on the side of this thing ;-)