Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 05:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 01:36 

I am fairly confident that this is not a hardware issue with the adapter. The issue goes away immediately after downgrading to 10.3beta. I suspect it is being caused by the ATI card going into some automatic low-power mode which lowers the signal strength to the DP port and it never fully recovers until you re-seat the monitor cable. I rarely have the display go out while I am in the middle of playing a game but it happens a lot when I am just on the desktop running 2D applications.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 15:08 

Two days ago I unistalled 10.4 did a driver sweep and installed 10.6 and have not had one blank screen yet.

Dam, sorry got over excited. Monitor just went black. Just keep hoping for a confirmed fix that wont lighten the pocket again.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 19:30 

Honestly I am starting to loose faith in ATI again, I wanted to give them a chance to redeem themselves but its been 6 months since I purchased the Eyefinity rig and continue to have the same problems with this DisplayPort bs, either it turns off randomly or I get artifacts or blinking and have to restart or reseat the video cable.

$129 for the DP to dual-link dvi adapter and it still does not allow me to run 120hz mode on my LCD or do 3d content. I am considering selling my extra monitors and buying one large one again or trying nVidias 3 monitor solution. DisplayPort does not seem really thought out I would have paid more for a ATI card that had 3 video clocks onboard to get this working over DVI in a heartbeat. If they are going to require us to buy an adapter to use it properly then they should also make and sell an official ATI adapter that is guaranteed to work.

Right now I feel we have been left out to dry as consumers to try and figure everything out ourselves. If anything I think this is my last ATI product.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010, 19:45 

Hi, new guy here. I didn't read through all 30 pages, however I had the same problem. Here is my solution:

This has been the solution to the black screen flickering using Win7 64-bit. Follow these instructions to see if it helps you as well:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Set Power Plan to 'High performance.'
3. Click on 'Change plan settings.'
4. In resulting window click 'Change advanced power settings.'
5. In resulting window click the '+' next to 'USB settings.'
6. Under 'USB selective suspend settings,' click on 'Setting' and select 'Disabled.'

Hopefully enjoy flicker-free gaming. I'm not familiar with monitors with native display port connections regarding their use of USB power connections. If they do, then perhaps it will work for them as well. This fix is specifically directed at users of the active DVI to Displayport adapter.

EDIT: Unfortunately, after several days of no flickering, the blacking out started again. I did a reboot and it was fixed, at least until the next time. Since I have ASUS cards, I might give the bios flash a try.

I tried disabling the USB suspend setting and the horizontal flickering disappeared, but the DP monitor still randomly turns off briefly and then back on. 10.5 - 10.8 was more of an issue then 10.4a with me. Certain drivers will work better than others for a particular setup.

I don't believe this to be a hardware issue. Trying a combination of drivers, power settings, adjusting 2D clocks, and at the very most flashing the card's bios will resolve these issues IMO. I've seen many people RMA their adapter more than once to be left with the same problems. I don't think RMA'ing is the solution.

It's been awhile since many of you chimed in. Are many of you still experiencing problems with this?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 18:23 

mine happens once every 8 hours or so. it could be anything to be honest.
also sometimes when switching from bezel managed resolution on exiting a game to non bezeled windows desktop resolution (but still eyefinity) the DP Adaptered screen is pixelated and requires a increase or decrease in resolution then back again to fix.

this is something to do with locking onto refresh rates i belive including the flicker, it must lose a flag or sync for a split second.

I have been largely disapointed with eyefinity. it looks good on the web but the heat, power requirements,lower graphics settings (although i heavily OC to overcome this) and general no support from games, let alone not having a hugley stretched out FOV and glicthes means that this tech is more suited to 2D applications or top down games

browsing without hydra grid is a pain although this is a slower load for windows at startup as its another 28mb just for the function!

2 screens seems to work perfect to be honest. if there was no bezel then two screens would give more than ample FOV, increase resolution and hardly any performance hit in reality. you wouldnt have to worry about heat, power as much and browsing and just general application usage is easier to accomodate. you also wouldnt require a DP adapter. ohh and using two screens as a test i had no real stretching fish eye look on the image

and finally in the end, my 1080p DLP @ 84" 16:9 is just as imersive and the quality is great still, because i paid for 1 dedicated PJ instead of 3x lower quality screens to save money.

id think anyone with 2 x 120hz LED 1080p projectors (if such things existed cheaply in 2010) would be laughing.

for me iam considering moving to a dedicated cinema setup 2:35:1 and modding the PC aspect to fit

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010, 19:45 

I don't think I could go back to a single or dual monitor configuration. I really enjoy the immersion you get from a widescreen res. If I had to do it all again, I would either get a monitor with a native DP, or go the nvidia route and forget DP all together.

Most games released today are bringing native widescreen resolutions to the table, like Metro 2033 and Mafia 2 for example. As far as the fisheye effect you get, I believe this will eventually be corrected through the software devs the more popular widescreen gaming becomes.

A year ago DP monitors were much more expensive and for most, the dp adapter was the only option. This isn't the case today though. Yes, the technology is still somewhat new but prices are dropping.
AMD is now offering a single link "official" adapter for 30 bucks. It's still expensive for an adapter IMO, but it beats paying $100.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DVI-DisplayPort-Radeon-Eyefinity,11201.html

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2010, 22:23 

Hi all. New to this forum. Just want to add that the BIOS flash fixed my problem of the "blacking out" of the display that's attached to the active DP-to-DVI adapter. It's a Dell Bizlink that I found through Amazon.uk and bought from Ebay (same seller). I'm very happy now. :cheers The BIOS flash also cured my Arma2 crashing.

I'll search the forum for the game specific issues I still have.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 16:12 

Hi Everyone,

I have the Accel displayport DVI Adaptor on 3 Samsung SyncMaster 205BW Monitors(5040x1050) and it exhibits flickering, out of sync problems, blanking out black, etc. just like everyone else here in this forum. I figured enough is enough so I purchased this:

Sapphire 6110026701G Active DisplayPort to Single-Link Adapter

Now No flickering, No blanking out, no out of sync problems. Just solid DVI video as if it were plugged into the native DVI ports on the card. I'm running 10.9 WHQL - solid! Finally a solution that only cost me only $35.00! No need to say anything else! Sapphire's solution truly works.

Very Satisfied,

Psygnosi :D

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 22:03 

I've got the Saphire adapter shown above, but it won't work with my XFX 5870. I tried flashing my card with the 2010-03-04 bios from techpowerup, but didn't help.

If I have the DP adapter connected at startup the BIOS and windows boot/login screen will appear as long as it is one of two or fewer attached displays. Nothing appears on it if I have all 3 attached. After I log in if I have any DVI monitors attached I get about 20 seconds of the screens all blinking on and off rapidly without showing anything before finally stabilizing with only my native DVI monitors working. If I boot with only the DP-DVI cable connected I can log into windows and see the desktop for about 20-30 seconds before the monitor loses signal and goes blank.

In windows when I try and enable the monitor my screen blanks out for a few seconds and then I get the do you want to keep your settings dialog with the monitor on the DP cable still disabled. CCC 10.9a silently fails when I try to extend my desktop onto the 3rd monitor. CCC10.8 thought it was extending my desktop to the 3rd display but despite showing success in the UI never was able to get it working in windows.

My system is i7-930 running on an Asus P6X58D Premium, with 6GB DDR3-1600, and an XFX 5870. I'm using Win7-64 ultimate and have all the windows updates and the AMD 10.9a driver installed. I have two NEC 2090's and an NEC 3090 arranged in a PLP configuration.

The Saphire DP-DVI adaptor does work for several hours if connected to my dell E6400 laptop, so the compatibility problem appears to be either with my GPU or with my OS. I tried booting an Ubuntu 10.04 live CD to see if it was a windows problem but it failed to detect the DP-DVI monitor at all and had seriously messed up graphics when running on one of the DVI monitors, to the point that I was unable to determine which button was to boot the OS off the CD and which was to do an install.

Edit: PS I tried flashing a generic ATI BIOS bit it failed with the error: Old SSID 2961, New SSDID 0B00, Error 0FL01"

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 00:20 

I was using the Accel displayport DVI Adaptor too on three Samsung 245T at a res of 6016x1200 and after flashing the card with a modded bios and using Cat 10.3 I really didn't have to much problems with the DP monitor going out. Although I did get some blinking during bootup but a resolution switch would make it stable until I turned off I rig. The only down side was all other Catalyst after 10.3 made my monitor a strobe light....until today.

Just like psygnosi I got the same Sapphire Active DisplayPort Single-Link Adapter. For me it was just plug and play, I have been running it for hours not and not one problem. This #%*# works perfect for me. Thanks Sapphire and ATI for finally getting this out.

BTW here are my specs. (The short list)

MB: Asus POG Rampage II Extreme, Bois 1802
CPU: Intel i7 920 D0
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 (6 x 2GB)
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870, Cat 10.9
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-2202B Blu-Ray
HD Primary: Western Digital VelciRaptor 300GB
HD Sorage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (x4)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling, SILENCER 910
Monitors: Samsung 245T 24" (x3)

Scooby :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48