Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 05:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 09:23 

Registered just to get this information available and to get your feedback.

I purchased the ACCELL UltraAV DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link Adapter this past week from Fry's Electronics.

I have the following displays:

1 x Chimei CMV 222H connected via HDMI -> HDMI and using 1080p
1 x ViewSonic VX2433wm connected via DVI -> DVI and using 1080p
1 x ViewSonic VX2433wm connected via DP [above] to DVI and using 1080p

My video card is XFX HD5770 1 GB GDDR5

OS is Windows 7 x64 Pro.

I've tried ATI drivers: 10.3; 10.4; 10.4a; 10.4b; and 10.5Betas.

I've also tried the DP Adapter on the other ViewSonic. (The Chimei does not have DVI input!)

The monitor using the DP Adapter consistently goes to a blank screen. I've tried plugging the USB cable into both the motherboard's USB Port and into a powered USB HUB. Nothing has changed.

I contacted XFX and they sent me a BIOS update for my video card. Still no change.

I've contacted ACCELL on the 5th of this month about the problem and, in spite of their promise to replay to email support within 24 hours, I have yet to get even the decency of an auto reply.

Unless someone can help me remedy this problem, the adapter is going back to Fry's this coming Tuesday when I have my next day off from work.

Even when Eyefinity is not in use, and the DP Display is used as Extended, the screen will still go off at random. I can unplug and re-plug the USB connection to get display again....for a short while.

Oh, and my PSU is a 1000W unit, but, that's immaterial since I've also tried a powered HUB.

If ACCELL cannot respond to email support as promised, I advise avoiding their products at least until they get their act together.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 02:58 

If you are an HD 5850 user and want to try a BIOS update (again, same caveats apply as before) then you can try the following one:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/65298/ATI.HD5850.1024.091211.html

As this may be the only solution I have not yet tried I may just give it a go. My fear is I have never flashed anything other than my wife and I almost screwed that up.

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 12:38 

ACCELL finally responded -- after five days -- and their solution is to return the product as they have no fix for the current state of things.

My own suspicion is that all these adapters are actually made by one company and the ones selling them are only distributors. As I've read all over the Internet/Forums, this blanking/flickering loss of signal is all too common.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 17:11 
Editors
Editors

ACCELL finally responded -- after five days -- and their solution is to return the product as they have no fix for the current state of things.

My own suspicion is that all these adapters are actually made by one company and the ones selling them are only distributors. As I've read all over the Internet/Forums, this blanking/flickering loss of signal is all too common.

I suspect that there are some crappy revisions out there (which might be why ATI is stating the revision on their homepage for compatibility). I could imagine that the sync requirements are much higher with an Eyefinity setup and needs to be much tighter, then by just using them for a single screen/TV setup.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 21:23 

[quote]ACCELL finally responded -- after five days -- and their solution is to return the product as they have no fix for the current state of things.

I suspect that there are some crappy revisions out there (which might be why ATI is stating the revision on their homepage for compatibility). I could imagine that the sync requirements are much higher with an Eyefinity setup and needs to be much tighter, then by just using them for a single screen/TV setup.

The problem with the Revision requirement is that you cannot see any revision information on the adapter until AFTER the package is opened. In most cases that info is on a little sticker attached to one of the cables and not visible through the packaging. This whole situation needs to be reviewed and updated so that people don't waste time and money .... and losing hair in the process.

PostPosted: 12 May 2010, 21:37 
Editors
Editors

The problem with the Revision requirement is that you cannot see any revision information on the adapter until AFTER the package is opened. In most cases that info is on a little sticker attached to one of the cables and not visible through the packaging. This whole situation needs to be reviewed and updated so that people don't waste time and money .... and losing hair in the process.

I agree. The biggest headache people have with Eyefinity is getting a working adapter. The Sapphire ones was a good idea, but from what I have read, they have an extreme backorder on those, so they are hard to get.

Since its a new revision, older revisions will be phased out eventually. But for now, the best thing is to order an adapter and either go through the Eyefinity sub-site or specify in the order that you need at least revXXX, so you can easily return it if its the wrong one. :(

For new adopters of Eyefinity, this is less of a problem, since they only have to make sure that their new screens are DP capable and it seems like a lot of the new displays feature a DP. :)

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 16:16 

Hey all...just wanted to chime in here, I read through almost this entire post last night because I too have the same issue listed by many of you. Yes, it's a dell/bizlink adapter...yes the problem has gotten worse/more frequent in the last few days.

I just called Dell and they are shipping me a new adapter. Got mine in Feb. I'll let you know if this works. I hope, because I'm not fond of the idea of shelling out another $100 for the Accell version of the same device. Just doesn't inspire confidence, though I must say, the success stories of doing just that do...so, we'll see. I'll let you know what happens.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 15:54 

I have the same issue and I own the Accell Adaptor, my DP monitor goes blank after sitting on the desktop for a couple hours, I have to physically pull the power cord from the monitor to reset it. Turning it off/on with the button does not work it acts like there is no signal. It didnt happen in version 10.3b and ive upgraded to 10.4 10.5 and now 10.6 and the issue returns soon as I upgrade.

I am downgrading back to 10.3b, this is not a hardware issue its a problem with ATI drivers.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 18:31 

I have the same issue and I own the Accell Adaptor, my DP monitor goes blank after sitting on the desktop for a couple hours

You're lucky man, mine is at the point that I lose video every 5-10 minutes (just joking about the lucky part, no matter how frequent/infrequent the video drop happens, it's !@#$%^& annoying). I'm sincerely hoping the replacement adapter from Dell does the trick. After looking through this post, it seems the Dell/Bizlink has a higher failure rate...either that or more people bought that version than any other version.

Oh, and for the record. here's my system.

Phenom 9950 Quad Core (O.C.'ed from 2.6ghz to 2.8 ghz) (Cooled by a xigmatek black knight heat 120mm heat pipe setup using arctic silver 5 thermal compound)
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 Mobo
Corsair 750W PS
4 Gig (2X2Gig) OCZ PC2 8500 Platinum RAM
2 Radeon 5770's
3 Acer H243H monitors (24 inch)
Running ATI CCC 10.6 currently (have had same issue with 10.3, 10.4 and 10.6)
And just for reference sake, 1 WD black (7200 RPM) 500 Gig HD, 1 Samsung (7200 RPM) 1TB HD, and 1 Seagate (5900) 1.5 TB HD
Rockin' Win 7 Ultimate X64

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2010, 00:15 

One thing I will say for sure, Dell certainly doesn't mess around. They overnighted the adapter to me, so I just hooked it up. I guess I'll see what happens. I expect that it'll work for at least a while, much like the old one...I'm curious if it'll last longer than the last one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next