Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 07:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 02:45 

I wouldent worry about it Ascii, transfering from bank account to paypal does the same thing, and it takes like a week. Give it a few more days, If its not done by Thursday or friday Then i would start to get worried.

8$

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 06:04 

Ascii, I've done it recently and yes it does take a while. Takes like a week for the bank to finally update that they've received the money. :S

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 07:22 

This post shall be about the PS3's pro's and cons

I'm still contemplating a PS3, but as I've been reading I'm finding out that the 40gb system isn't that great, many of the games install to the hdd which adds up fast, granted it filling up shouldn't be a problem for me personally for a very very long time. I know the 40gb version doesn't have any backwards compatibility, that's why it only costs $400 b/c they removed the emulation for the Emotion Engine.

On the upside it isn't known for a 2424234 % failure rate like a certain microsoft console. It comes with built in BlueTooth, and it plays Blu-Ray which is now officially the standard.

Basically I'm contemplating it b/c MGS4 is calling me every time I think about a 360, I want to complete that series before 32424234324342 idiots ruin everything about MGS4 plot wise for me. If I decide to get a PS3 I think I can pull off 3 games, which would be MGS4, GTAV, and Heavenly Sword which I assume is good. A PS3 and 3 games would be $580 without tax.. so it's cutting very close to the amount I have to work with.

Also a big determining factor is I'm not sure if I can get a copy of MGS4 when it comes out, according to Best Buy's site I can still pre-order but as reality has shown that doesn't guarantee you a copy. And I doubt that I can simply walk in on release day and get a copy, although I could be completely wrong and I could just wait and see but I'm very frigging impatient and I want a console now b/c I have 0 entertainment.

I also COMPLETELY forgot ALL versions of the 360 have backwards compatibility

I probably still have a few days to decide.. soo.... USE THOSE DAYS TO MAKE UP MY MIND FOR ME -- A PS3 for MGS4 or a 360 for the mainstream games and online gaming ?

Ascii, I've done it recently and yes it does take a while. Takes like a week for the bank to finally update that they've received the money. :S

I'm very calm now, I'm just very impatient and bored. I started to finally chillax once I realized there's really no other place it could of gone and that it's just probably a delay, the same as from Bank Account > Paypal.

I still have some questions I want answered

1. I want someone here who OWNS Oblivion on the 360 to tell me how the framerate is.

2.. I forget and I'm tired

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 08:08 

Backward compatibility yes, but it sounds like you're thinking forward on titles, not backward. Not to mention MS being a bit backward on hardware design. I just heard from a Bjorn3D forum member who's had 4 360s go bad on him. He bought a pre Falcon chip model and they keep insisting, even now, on giving him old refurbished non Falcon models for replacements.

As for titles, everyone of course has their preferences but seems to me most of the good titles come out on both anymore. Eventually there's not going to be much of an issue title comparison wise. The one other thing that many don't mention about the PS3 is it has 1080p movie capability built into it. That may not be a big factor now but Blu-ray will soon replace DVD.

One word of advice should you go 360, I highly recommend getting one of those fan units made for the underside of laptops. You can get them for around $20 and from what I've heard they keep the 360 a lot cooler. It just could end up being cheap insurance against what could be another MS customer service debacle in the making. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 10:38 
Editors
Editors

OK, on your last post, ASCII...

MGS4, GTA4... worth buying. Heavenly Sword... I wasn't too enamoured of. It's OK, but in the end it's just a run-'n'-hack-'n'-slash-'n'-button-mash game. ;)

Having a Blu-ray player 'free' isn't a bad thing, either.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 13:04 

IF you are going to invest in a blue ray library over the next year or two, then that is a huge plus for getting a PS3.

If you want to buy MSG4 so much, and it is the main reason gaming wise, are you sure you want to spend all that much money for a game? You could always try to rent a PS3 for a week.

If you are careful with your xbox 360 and don't put anything on top of it, anything, and there is plenty of airflow and you go to the dashboard after you finish playing a game and let it on for about 10 minutes, the chances of having a problem with it are very very small.

GTAIV runs at a higher resolution on the Xbox 360 from what I have heard...

There are more good exclusive games on the 360 than on the PS3.

I am not saying that I wouldn't buy a PS3, but I wouldn't buy it as my first or main console of this generation.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 14:54 

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, I was very pleased with the amount and speed of responses.

Was also VERY pleased that this didn't turn into a Fanboy war.

I woke up about 5 mins ago and the money is in my bank account now, WOOT

I'm heading off to Best Buy when they open @ 10am and I'll make my decision there while I walk around.

1 last edit, I'm pretty sure that if I decide to get a 360 I'm going for the 20GB version and not the elite so that I can get more games while i'm there, I can still dl demo's but I won't be able to hoard them, I'll just delete them after I try them. I think i'll be fine with 20gb for the 10 mainstream games with patches/mappacks.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 16:42 

Like BlueMak said, I'd only get the PS3 AFTER I got a 360. There's really only the one big draw for me atm, and that's MGS4. I definitely don't think it's a good idea to get it for only one exclusive. I also hear Heavenly Sword was kinda meh. Maybe if it were $30. :P
Blu-ray isn't relevant to my interests as I don't watch movies, though Japan IS in Region 1 with US...blah imports.

20GB is just fine, don't worry. I really don't imagine you needing it unless you get the HD movies on Marketplace. Also, Oblivion plays just fine on the 360, no slowdowns from what I remember.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 17:13 

HELL YES 100% FALCON MODEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from Best Buy and I opened the package and checked the PSU to see what I got and as I said above I got SUPER LUCKY. On the Power Brick itself it says Output - 175W which = a 100% Falcon model

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Also, I got a game for basically free, I went to the register with 2 games, asked for GTAV *@ the customer service counter* and a very nice women said she could work some magic b/c she said all bs aside getting a Performance plan on a 360 is very very smart and worth it. So, since I picked a 360 AND GTAV I got a 50$ gift card and so I bought a 20GB 360 with 2 games AND a 2 year performance plan then she turned around and did a separate transaction for that 3rd game I wanted and used the card and the game only cost me $14. She said all I want from you is a good review on our site and said "sure" and I intend to live up to that agreement.

My 20GB console even game with a Headset......

The 3 games I ended up getting are

Halo 3
Lost Odyssey
GTAV

ALSO the people there said Sony is re-releasing the 80GB console b/c of the outrage people are having @ the 40gb one, b/c of it's non backwards compatibility.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2008, 18:14 

Wait its still a lottery to get a falcon? :o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next