Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 03:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 23:24 

Really...well now you have me wondering if I should stick with my roots. Good thing its a month before I HAVE to make a decision. :)

One concern I have just thought of though...and I hope I am not buggin the piss outta you...its not my intention. My concern is I am still using my LAST builds PSU.

Here it is; Corsair CMPSU 750TX

Would it work for the single 7950?

But now the question is, would it be better to get two GTX 560ti 2GB cards? Maybe two of these: MSI OR two of these: EVGA

I KNOW I am flipflopping around a bit but I am just weighing my options. A pair of those cards would cost ABOUT the same as one 7950...what are the any pros or cons of this?

The first I think would be the PSU...I am sure two cards of that caliber would need at least an 850 watt PSU. And for the ability to do three monitors with nVidia I would HAVE to have two cards (right?). So its not possible to just get a single GTX580...as it would be basically the same price as the HD7950 Radeon card EXCEPT...I CAN do three monitors with THAT one card.

SO...it looks like I get two mid range nVidia cards or one high end AMD...maybe THATS what this thread should have been to start with.

Thanks for bearing with me on this and for all the helpful and thoughtful advice!
K

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 09:07 
Editors
Editors

Running i7-3930k @4ghz +2x HD7979 OC"ed result in peak drain of 770Watt! Undervolting Cards result in Peak drain of 440Watt!

Your PSU won't Limit for sure ;)

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 12:26 
Editors
Editors

The big issue with nVidia Surround is the SLI requirement. Games that don't like SLI will run terribly in Surround (see: Amnesia: The Dark Descent).

PSU should be OK.

Of the MSI/EVGA thing, I'd probably go MSI. The TwinFrozrII, despite it's stupid name, is a pretty good cooler. :)

I can't help think that the extra VRAM on the 7950/70 would serve better, though. :(

Post subject: Ok..gonna still do some
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 14:11 

Ok..gonna still do some research but I am gonna focus on finding out why to NOT get the 7950. Instead of buying it and then finding all the articles and reviews and feeling stupid(er).

Thanks again!
K

Post subject: Ok...after an intensive
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 11:38 

Ok...after an intensive search of the net for info and reviews I'm really drawn between those same two choices, the SLI'd 2gb 560ti's and the single 7950.

Thing is they say the newest nVidia drivers make SLI virtually as stable as a single card...and thats pretty much what I am looking for. Some say the benefits of SLI or CF are minimal for 90% of the game market, that very few devs actually take it into consideration.

Now, the rumors of a new chipset coming soon for both AMD and nVidia...past experience as well as articles say "wait" on any graphics card purchase until mid summer at the earliest...let the new cards hit and the prices of the current cards drop in relation.

Just thought I'd see if anyone would have any more thoughts on this...

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 03:44 

Well, found a deal on an XFX DD Black Edition 7950...couldn't pass it up. Don't you love it when you point out that they have the item priced wrong and they argue with you!

"Ok fine, I'll take one! Bag it *****!!!"

:D

Post subject: Hehe. Enjoy!The XFX BE
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

Hehe. Enjoy!

The XFX BE isn't monstrous as always told in the commercial but worksfine! The DD cooler isn't perfect either but way less noisy than stock cooler! If you Undervolt and figure out a good fan profile in MSI Afterburner you can get it even more silent.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 02:54 

Hey thanks and quiet isn't an issue, I have a full tower server case (Antec SX1040 I think) and I have about 8 fans running full blast including a 92mm Ventec Tornado(on an 7volt mod switch), so, like I said...noise isn't an issue for me.

So far I haven't had a single snag with this card...I have it stock right now but I have tinkered a little with it and it seems stable even with max OCing with only a smidge of over voltage. Thats all through CCC so, not the most professional way to manage your system but for me, the safest.

My experience with this card is so far good enough for me to think that when this card drops to about $400 or so, I will grab another for CF!