Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 05:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: hannedog wrote:thales100
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 00:03 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]So my issue is with KotoR 2, not the first one...

Hey hannedog, are you using solution 1 or 2 ?

http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/star-wars-knights-old-republic-ii-sith-lords

Hey thanks for the response. I've tried both. Both methods have essentially had the same results (although sometimes solution 2 appears to do nothing and the resolution 1280x960 appears to be.... 1280x960...)

K, could you please check swkotor2.ini, under :

[Display Options]
Width=....
Height=....

And

[Graphics Options]
Height=....
Width=....

whats the resolution ?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 01:03 

The width and height for both is 1440 x 900, respectively.

I ended up looking into things some more... my KotoR 1 is on Steam, while my KotoR 2 is the disc copy... which meant that the install directory for KotoR2 was in Program Files (x86)LucasArtsKotoR2... and had the various tightened permissions that the games in the steam apps do not. So, I ended up changing the owner of the KotoR2 folder to the "Users" group, allowing these users full control over all files, and unchecking the "read-only" checkbox on the root foler... and that has improved the siutation drastically.

Now, the right resolution is being displayed and its taking up the whole screen -- properly. The HUD is still stretched, but that's to be expected.

However, if I choose 2x AA, while it will work for the time that I switch it in-game, when I exit the game and re-launch, the game will now be in a 1440x900 window.... which clearly isn't what I want. The only solution is to make sure that no AA is on before the game starts... ideally, I'd like to run the game at 1440x900 at 2x AA without having to toggle it on/off before I start every time.

Beyond that, there is a more serious problem, in that initially, while the game would display correctly, movies would be stetched out vertically, but not also horizontally. This was because evidently the resolution used to display the movies was still not 1440x900 (or a 16:10) resolution... instead it's using some 4:3 resolution. The best I could come up with somewhat by messing around with the scaling options in the Nvidia control panel. By selecting Aspect Ratio Scaling on the GPU and checking the box to override any scaling options set by movies and games, the movies now would have four black borders on all sides, the black borders on the left and the right coming from the Nvida aspect scaling (to prevent stretching the movie out), and the natural borders on the top and bottom from the movie ratio itself....

Should the FMVs be using the resolution chosen by the patcher? Because it is not -- the only thing which isn't working, which does work in KotoR 1. If I could somehow figure out how to get the FMVs working (along with how to make AA work right), then things would be ideal...

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 01:15 
Editors
Editors

Cool, at least its running fine, as you can check in the Detailed Report, the FMVs corrections are anamorphic.

Post subject: thales100 wrote:Cool, at
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 17:36 

Cool, at least its running fine, as you can check in the Detailed Report, the FMVs corrections are anamorphic.

Thanks for the response, but I'm not quite following what the meaining of "anamorphic" is in the context you're using.

Typically anamorphic process is used in a 4:3 source so that the image (if displayed with a 16x9 resolution) could be expanded out to a true "widescreen" aspect ratio.

This obviously is what the KotoR videos are, except that in KotoR 2, the display resolution of the videos is not using the one set in-game (which I have set to 1440x900), but instead some 4:3 resolution, probably 800x600. What this results in is the videos either getting stretched horizontally (which looks absolutely terrible), or else I can use the NVIDIA scaling options to at least enforce aspect ratio, but then I end up with the video with black borders surrounding it on all sides.

In Kotor 1, the FMVs use the same resolution the game is set at -- so the videos properly take the "widescreen" format and fill the whole screen accordingly. Right now -- for me, at least -- this does not happen in Kotor2. Is this expected? Or is there something additional I could be looking at to get the FMVs displayed correctly? Because the videos are pretty unwatchable the way it is now. Thanks.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 02:41 

I need some help. My laptop is 1366x768 and i can use the UniWS patcher to make my game 1366x768, but with no dialogue options on the bottom of the screen. I've spent hours trying to make this work and have tried multiple guides. If someone could walk me through this step by step i'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 15:37 

Some time ago there were hex edits on this site that made the FMVs in Kotor 2 play in widescreen. Does anyone still have copies of them because I can't find them anywhere.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 10:58 

it's about Kotor 2...
trying to play the game again with the latest tslcm; using the uniws (the other method mentioned in the detailed report, I was unable to download the file _forbidden_?) fix. I do get the game to run @2560x1600, but in windowed mode~~" any way to make it full screen?

Post subject: Kotor 2
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 01:07 

Hey, I'm new to this site and I was hoping I could get some help with an issue I've been having. I have downloaded the widescreen patcher and followed of the the instructions but I can't select my custom resolution because it appears that a couple of preset resolutions are missing. I can only select 800x600 and 1024x768 in game. Could anyone help?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2012, 23:43 

Hi folks,

I am a bit lost. I have the German version of Sith Lords (proper retail version - dvd box, 4Cds plus handbook, key reference). When I try to patch swkotor2.exe UNIWS finds the file but is unable to patch it - first time round it finds the file, and then patching is unsuccessful (no the file is not write-protected) - after that UniWS is no longer capable of finding the exe file any more until one quits UNIWS and restarts the programme and then the whole thing starts anew (1st attempt file found but patching attempt unsuccessful - after that swkotor2.exe no longer is found any more): I have read that I need a cracked (!!!) version in order for UNIWS to work on Sith Lords. Is that true? Is there any way of making the legal uncracked version of swkotor2.exe (1.0b German) work?

I find it rather odd that kotor1 works beautifully with UNIWS (again proper German retail version, dvd box, 4 CDs, handbook). Is there any chance of UNIWS being modified that the legal German version of swkotor2.exe 1.0b also works? Would be grateful for a reply.

Otherwise thanks to the makers of UNIWS for their efforts. It really is a big help.

Cheers

Post subject: KOTOR Collection
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2012, 18:40 
Founder
Founder

Just bought the new KOTOR collection from Gamestop. Wanted to post here that UNIWS doesn't work on these games.. atleast on KOTOR 1 since it's v1.31 not v1.30.