Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 09:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: -_- Activision
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 04:49 

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,691197/Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Activision-tests-higher-prices-Will-games-get-more-expensive/News/

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 04:50 
Insiders
Insiders

I never pre-order games anyway. Or buy anything that isn't at least a few months old.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 04:52 

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 05:45 

yes....

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 09:56 

Oh would you look at that, we have a linkbox to the left. Never actually noticed the thing :lol:

Aaaaanyway, nothing wrong here. They're just increasing the prices to see if people keep buying. If they do - more profit. If they don't - tough. Just normal risky business.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 10:54 
Editors
Editors

I loved their justification for it in the UK. "Weak pound"... well, I won't disagree that it's weaker than it was this time last year... but it was abnormally strong in July last year, just in preparation for an almighty tumble. However, it's no weaker now than it was in 2000. In fact, the £ is back at its more historical level of £1 = ~$1.65...

Well, whatever. I won't be buying it anyway as I've no interest in a game that has no single player replayability - that isn't to say that CoD:MW was bad... it wasn't. I enjoyed it a lot on my first play through. But with all the scripting there is no replay there. And multiplayer is never something I look for.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 18:47 

WTH !!!!!

wrong strategy if you think about it
pre-orders are a good way to test if the market wants a game or not
Stardock for example allows access to beta stage with pre-orders (though you pay the amount on the day of the pre-order and it allows them to finetune their anticipated sales and so the budget of the game ...)
Highly anticipated doesn't translate in nice sales everytime ...

If they continue at this rate I guess I'll delay more & more buying games
I love gaming, but my budget is kind of fixed, higher price means less games, means less possibilities for enjoyment ...
Plus it's not like the market is in a good shape ...

If they need more money per sale a good way is to sell directly to the customer with online shops like impulse (which is known for that fact, don't know about other online shops)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 22:08 

Aaaaanyway, nothing wrong here. They're just increasing the prices to see if people keep buying. If they do - more profit. If they don't - tough. Just normal risky business.

Whats wrong here is that they are going to go, oh we cant develop for the PC anymore Piracy has really gotten out of hand.

Simply because no one bought it because people dont like getting frakked in the ass.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 02:54 

Whats wrong here is that they are going to go, oh we cant develop for the PC anymore Piracy has really gotten out of hand.

Simply because no one bought it because people dont like getting frakked in the ass.

Not quite ripe.

Games used to be less than ten bucks. If it doesn't sell at that price retailers will drop it down. It it does then more will try and see if it is sustainable. Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 06:50 
Insiders
Insiders

It's not exactly fair to call them out on BS that you think they are going to say. Besides, prices do drop over time, so high prices isn't going to be a valid excuse for pirating MW2.