Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 22:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 previews of Oblivion
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 14:04 

http://www.shacknews.com/extras/2006/022406_oblivion_1.x
The combat system has been overhauled, and has a much more active feel to it now. Basically every combat action your character performs directly translates to a button press. There are two main kinds of melee attack, the standard attack and the power attack, which is a briefly "charged up" version of the regular attack. Blocking is done manually with the right mouse button rather than automatically, and you can always cast your currently selected spell by pressing the cast button, regardless of what other weapons you're holding. Up to eight weapons, spells, items, and so on can be assigned to number keys 1-8. This makes it easy to quickly swap between spells or weapon configurations without having to move your hand much or start worrying about menus in the middle of battle. There are seven skills each in the categories of combat, magic, and stealth. As in Morrowind, skills are improved by actually using them, and as you reach higher levels of mastery with particular skills you will receive special corresponding abilities.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6144923
If you're playing the PC version, the left mouse button attacks, while the right mouse button blocks (in the Xbox 360 version, the right trigger attacks, while the left trigger blocks). That's right, blocking is now manually controlled, rather than randomly triggered by your character's skill level. So, Oblivion's melee combat actually seems to resemble that of an action game with first-person combat, like The Chronicles of Riddick or Condemned, in that you'll be able to scoot forwards and backwards and immediately block incoming attacks. Then again, so can your opponent. Apparently, Oblivion no longer uses an abstracted "to-hit" model based on your character's skills, so you won't have the frustrating problem of stabbing your sword right through an enemy's face, yet having that swing register as a "miss." Instead, weapon strikes that look like they hit will always hit; your character's skill points will instead determine to what extent. If you have a low axe skill, you'll do barely any damage with an axe even when you do connect. If you have a high block skill, you'll be able to soak up most of the damage of an incoming blow. If you die, don't worry, because you'll resurrect at the previous autosave point.

http://www.tothegame.com/preview.asp?gameid=4265
I spend the last thirty or so minutes just traveling around. Watching day change to night, the clouds move slowly across the sky, deer hopping through the woods, and simply walking the roads. Exploration is one of the more fascinating assets that Oblivion has to offer. The world is huge and the things to do are overwhelming. In fact, four hours is just a small inkling of time one will need to fully explore and capture every bit of TES IV (which is said to have over 100+ hours of gameplay). Though no release date has been officially announced Pete did say they were in the high 90 percentile of completion

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/691/691326p1.html
Graphics look like they're still being optimized. The rig they set me up on was a powerhouse--a Dell 3.4GHz packed with an ATI X1900 512MB card. The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 14:31 
Editors
Editors

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/691/691326p1.html
Graphics look like they're still being optimized. The rig they set me up on was a powerhouse--a Dell 3.4GHz packed with an ATI X1900 512MB card. The video settings were set at a modest 1280x768 and anti-aliasing was turned off. There were some occasional stutters, and I could (albeit on rare occasions) see some stitching lines between textures. Performance seemed pretty similar for this machine as it was for the Xbox 360s running Oblivion on the other side of the room

This is the bit that really, really hurts! :cry: Looks like I'll not be running this at max... *sigh*

Well, they've got some time to optimise yet... 8)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 18:54 

Man that really is a high spec!

Still not sure which version ill go for :S

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 19:00 

I cannot WAIT for this game. I got into the elder scrolls universe with Morrowind, and I am absolutely hooked. What would be really sweeit is if TES 5 comes out as an MMO, and you could travel anywhere on Tamriel. Looks like just about a month til release!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 19:03 
Editors
Editors

Wow thats mad. I hope they have time to do some bad ass optimizations so more people can play it.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 19:04 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, like the millions of people who don't have a Big Blue at home. :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2006, 19:40 

They've been optimizing for like a month and a half now though...the game content has been done.
I don't know if it can get any more optimized.

Pretty sweet to hear that it runs so well on 360 though.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 02:09 

From what I understand they are not doing much more optimizations on the game. It runs well on the 360 naturally, but many previews from the other nights large update state that the PC version looks and plays better/smoother.

And btw, TES will NEVER be a MMORPG. TES has always been and will always be a first person game as long Bethesda is making the games.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 02:30 

I don't understand why the two have to be mutually exclusive. MMOFPS games have already hit the market; as technology advances, why couldn't an MMO first person action RPG be a feasibility? Don't get me wrong, I love the games regardless, and Morrowind had the best replay factor of any single-player RPG I've experienced. On the other hand, MMO's by design have a greater life span with much more content to experience than any single player game to date. I may spend a couple months enjoying a game, but I can get into an MMO for much longer, if it's any good - and I want that experience from the rich world that Bethesda has developed.

But I guess that's all a moot point, since it'll "NEVER" happen.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2006, 02:45 

A TES style game as an MMO would be great, but an elder scrolls MMO will NEVER happen.

They have said time and time again that they are perfectly happy being the leader of massive, free roaming offline games and they have NO plans to EVER bring the series online.

I agree with them too. There are no other offline games like TES, and if they migrate it online it will just be another MMO to get caught up in the whole online thing. I like it the way it is now, we need some great offline games that play so open ended.